[SOLVED] Screenshot tool

Screenshots, Vectorial Preview and printable exports
Post Reply [phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1275: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Dan Bumbarger
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1275: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[SOLVED] Screenshot tool

Post by Dan Bumbarger » 15 Jun 2010 15:17

I am trying to take a screenshot from the graph window using the "Take Screenshot" tool... the resulting png has colors that are wildly different from the colors in the window... is there anything I can do about this?

Dan Bumbarger
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1275: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: Screenshot tool

Post by Dan Bumbarger » 15 Jun 2010 15:37

Also, on a similar note.. I like the graphs with curved lines in the "preview" window, but I need to have arrows on my lines as it is a directed graph (synaptic connectivity diagram). Are arrows going to be implemented for the curved lines? Or maybe there is a way to do it that has so far escaped me?

mbastian
Gephi Architect

Post by mbastian » 15 Jun 2010 15:56

I am trying to take a screenshot from the graph window using the "Take Screenshot" tool... the resulting png has colors that are wildly different from the colors in the window... is there anything I can do about this?
If you used the "Transparent background" option, try without it as it can cause colors issues. And do you use 2D or 3D sphere? thank you
Also, on a similar note.. I like the graphs with curved lines in the "preview" window, but I need to have arrows on my lines as it is a directed graph (synaptic connectivity diagram). Are arrows going to be implemented for the curved lines? Or maybe there is a way to do it that has so far escaped me?
No there is no such a plan for the moment. Note that curved edges do represent direction:
curvededges-directed.png
Curved Edges Direction
curvededges-directed.png (2.92KiB)Viewed 3507 times

Dan Bumbarger

Post by Dan Bumbarger » 15 Jun 2010 16:56

Thanks for the reply.. I think arrows on the curved edges would be useful, as it is not immediately intuitive to someone what the direction is. A good graph shouldn't require much explanation. I'll try messing with the transparency option. Thanks again!

admin
Gephi Community Manager

Post by admin » 15 Jun 2010 17:34

Hi,

Conventions on graph readability are not fixed, as some studies in infovis continue to compare the solutions regarding visual clutter. Arrows are very problematic on large graphs.

Whatever you choose, a legend should stand on the side of a graph because people have many ways to read and interpret them.

Also adding arrows to curved edges is not a good idea for a cognitive reason: curves and arrows would encode the same information (direction) twice, which would confuse the user and make the graph less readable. That's also the reason why I prefer not to use straight lines for undirected edges, and only use curves for directed ones.