Adapting Node Images

Screenshots, Vectorial Preview and printable exports
gryang11
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1275: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Adapting Node Images

Post by gryang11 » 29 Jun 2012 10:01

Hi, I intend to adapt images to nodes and I have read the gexf primer document to do so, but I just cannot make it.
The document mentions that one needs to add the following "node" in the gexf file:
<viz:shape value="image" uri="#image file location#"/>
I do exactly what the document tell me to do, but it just does not work.

I succeeded to adapt images to nodes in some early versions of gephi, say 0.6. However, I need to do dynamic analysis, in which 0.8.1 is much more powerful.

Does anyone know how to adapt images to nodes in 0.8.1?

Thanks in advance!!

admin
Gephi Community Manager
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1275: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: Adapting Node Images

Post by admin » 29 Jun 2012 10:14

Hi,

Install this plugin: https://gephi.org/plugins/image-preview/
Then go to the Preview. The plugin is an early release, so don't hesitate to contact the author.

gryang11

Post by gryang11 » 29 Jun 2012 10:49

Thanks! But is it possible to play the dynamic process in PREVIEW? I would like to adapt images to nodes and show the dynamic movement at the same time. That is to say, I want the images to move. Is it possible in 0.8.1?

seinecle
Gephi Community Support

Post by seinecle » 29 Jun 2012 11:04

Images for nodes are only available in the preview mode (where nodes are "fixed"), not in the overview mode (where they can move).

I must say I don't know whether it is technologically possible that it will be available in the overview mode one day.

Best,

Clement

ltsmash

Post by ltsmash » 19 Sep 2012 14:50

Hi everyone,

Sorry again for testing your patience but have a question on the image preview plug in. If you can answer it great, if not no worries. I am just looking for tips on how to use it. I have downloaded the plug in from the site https://gephi.org/plugins/image-preview/ but I am struggling to implement my desired images as nodes.

I have created a new string column in gephi called "image" and the values I have put are the locations of my images on my computers e.g. C:\Users\Lorcan\Downloads\gephiimage\Leonard.jpg , Leonard.jpg being the image I want to use for this particular node. I then go to preview settings in the preview tab in gephi. I go to the "Node images" section and tick the "Render Nodes as Images" and tick the box. I then "image path" and specify the path to be "C:\Users\Lorcan\Downloads\gephiimage". I clicked refresh and nothing changed. I tried a few different orderings of the steps and had no luck :( I was wondering if there is anything else I need to do or if there are other plug-ins I need.

Thanks again for all your help and your great software,
Cheers,
Lorcan

eduramiba
Gephi Code Manager

Post by eduramiba » 19 Sep 2012 17:57

ltsmash wrote:Hi everyone,

Sorry again for testing your patience but have a question on the image preview plug in. If you can answer it great, if not no worries. I am just looking for tips on how to use it. I have downloaded the plug in from the site https://gephi.org/plugins/image-preview/ but I am struggling to implement my desired images as nodes.

I have created a new string column in gephi called "image" and the values I have put are the locations of my images on my computers e.g. C:\Users\Lorcan\Downloads\gephiimage\Leonard.jpg , Leonard.jpg being the image I want to use for this particular node. I then go to preview settings in the preview tab in gephi. I go to the "Node images" section and tick the "Render Nodes as Images" and tick the box. I then "image path" and specify the path to be "C:\Users\Lorcan\Downloads\gephiimage". I clicked refresh and nothing changed. I tried a few different orderings of the steps and had no luck :( I was wondering if there is anything else I need to do or if there are other plug-ins I need.

Thanks again for all your help and your great software,
Cheers,
Lorcan
Hi Lorcan,
I think your column should only have the image file name, so when it is appended to the path in preview, a valid file path is generated.

Eduardo

ltsmash

Post by ltsmash » 20 Sep 2012 09:07

Hi Eduardo,

As always, you're the man. Cheers for hand, the graph looks great now.

Cheers again,

Lorcan

jorge_pena

Post by jorge_pena » 29 Nov 2012 14:12

Hello

I'm trying to use this plug in and I can't figure it out how to pass the image argument, could you post a wee gexf example?

Thanks!!

PS: I installed/activated the plugin and I marked the render ticket in the previsualisation settings...

delgado.diez.rodrigo

Post by delgado.diez.rodrigo » 16 May 2014 12:03

Hi everybody,

I have a problem with Image Preview: when I activate the box "Render Nodes as Image" the "Image Path" box is still locked (in grey color) and I can´t change it so it doesn´t works. ¿Can you help me with this?

Thanks

Rodrigo

eduramiba
Gephi Code Manager

Post by eduramiba » 16 May 2014 16:56

Hi,
I also have this problem.

It seems that the there is no PropertyEditor available for java.io.File.
I am not sure if this is caused by Java 7 or a change in Netbeans integrated editors.

Anyway, I made a pull request to use a simple String for better compatibility.

I attach the new plugin files for manual installation for those of you that have this problem.

Eduardo
Attachments
org-yale-cs-graphics-gephi-imagepreview.zip
(18.6KiB)Downloaded 387 times