Animated Preview

Screenshots, Vectorial Preview and printable exports
Post Reply [phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1275: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Thorsten S.
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1275: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Animated Preview

Post by Thorsten S. » 27 Apr 2012 10:39

Hi,

i have a question about the Preview Pane. In the "Overview" tab I can enable the timeline, click play and everything is fine and updated in real-time. But in the "Preview" pane the graph is not updated in real-time. I always have to press "Refresh" during the animation to get really an update. Is this an issue or do I miss something here? Happens on OSX and Win. Thx a lot for your help!!

Bye, Thorsten

admin
Gephi Community Manager
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1275: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: Animated Preview

Post by admin » 27 Apr 2012 10:49

Hi,

This is not an issue: Preview is not made for real-time exploration, because it requires much more resources than the rendering engine in Overview.

Thorsten S.

Post by Thorsten S. » 27 Apr 2012 11:06

Thx for your answer. What kind or amount of ressources are we talking about (just a rule of thumb), RAM or CPU? Twice / Third as the Overview or unknown?

mbastian
Gephi Architect

Post by mbastian » 29 Apr 2012 21:59

I would say Preview is at least 100 times slower than Overview to display the same thing. This is simply due to the different technology we use. Overview is OpenGL and therefore hardware accelerated, whereas Preview is Java2D which is not in most cases. In terms of memory usage Overview and preview should be roughly similar.

dobrevad

Post by dobrevad » 16 Jul 2013 15:56

Hi,

You say that Overview uses OpenGL and Preview Java2D. Does this mean that the animation which we see e.g. during a layout execution in gephi app [Overview] is not possible using the toolkit with the same smoothness? Or is there some other way to accomplish that?

Thanks!