[TODO] Changing node shapes

Screenshots, Vectorial Preview and printable exports
ajegga
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1275: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[TODO] Changing node shapes

Post by ajegga » 26 Apr 2010 17:31

I was wondering if there was a way to change the node shapes from circle (or ellipse) to say rectangle, triangle, hexagon, etc.

admin
Gephi Community Manager
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1275: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: Changing node shapes

Post by admin » 26 Apr 2010 20:38

Of course,

Open the visualisation options panel like this one, then open Nodes, and choose the default shape: disk 2d, sphere 3d, or rectangle. More shapes could be added with the help of the community.

ajegga

Post by ajegga » 26 Apr 2010 21:32

Thanks. But what I meant was having different shapes in the same network. For instance, if the network has microRNA and genes or disease and genes, the ability to used different shapes for different categories/classes of nodes would make graph more intuitive. I tried using the GML file exported from Cytoscape (with different shapes for the nodes) but when it is opened in Gephi the colors are retained but the shapes are lost (i.e., all the nodes are of same default shape).

mbastian
Gephi Architect

Post by mbastian » 27 Apr 2010 00:40

Yes this is a limitation of our current design and may be fixed in a future release. I though it was in the roadmap, as many agreed this would be a very good improvement, but it wasn't so I updated the page.

karlerik

Post by karlerik » 16 May 2011 10:18

It is available now ?
Or still waiting for future release ?

mchen15

Re: [TODO] Changing node shapes

Post by mchen15 » 10 Feb 2012 02:04

Hi, I am also interested in displaying nodes in the same graph with different shapes. I have found this new Visualization API but I didn't see the set shape option. Does the current release of Gephi support this feature?

Thanks!
Mike

admin
Gephi Community Manager

Post by admin » 21 Feb 2012 15:07

Hi, this API is currently under active development.

jodi.basner

Re: [TODO] Changing node shapes AND node/edge patterns

Post by jodi.basner » 07 Mar 2012 15:46

Hi,

Is there a way to have patterned nodes or edges, i.e. a dashed line or striped node?

For the node shapes can we have a variety of shapes for one graph?

Thanks for your help.

Carrott

Post by Carrott » 24 Apr 2012 09:13

admin wrote:Of course,

Open the visualisation options panel like this one, then open Nodes, and choose the default shape: disk 2d, sphere 3d, or rectangle. More shapes could be added with the help of the community.
Hi I have followed the steps above, and in the overview tab I have rectangular nodes (yay!). But when I go to the preview tab and refresh the nodes remain circular.... Please help!

I am a pretty new user and have Gephi 0.8.1 beta installed.

Thanks!

eduramiba
Gephi Code Manager

Post by eduramiba » 24 Apr 2012 11:39

Hi,
Different node shapes are not implemented in preview yet. But it is not too difficult and will be definitely done in the future.
In fact, there is a simple example implementation of square shaped nodes here https://github.com/gephi/gephi-plugins-bootcamp

Eduardo