[SOLVED] Organizing nodes by partition, grouping

Visual manipulations and refinements
Post Reply [phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1275: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
daniel
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1275: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[SOLVED] Organizing nodes by partition, grouping

Post by daniel » 11 Aug 2010 15:14

The partitioning functionality makes it easy to visualize nodes that are somehow related with displaying them in the same color but in large graphs it gets messy. Is there a way to actually use this in the layout in order to make nodes belonging to the same partition close to each other ?
screenshot_155430.png
The grouping functionality is interesting too, but I think it would be great to be able to :
  • use a layout on the grouped graph level
  • export the grouped view to a new graph (where each group is a node in the new graph)
  • zoom in a group to only see the part of the original graph that belongs to the group (this can already be done with filters but it would be nicer to be able to do it visually through the graph view)
Thanks.

admin
Gephi Community Manager
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1275: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: Organizing nodes by partition, grouping

Post by admin » 11 Aug 2010 17:33

Hi,

It is possible to export partitions of the network by using the filters. Select Attributes > Partition, then select the ones you want to filter, then click on the "Export to a new workspace" button.

The other features could be useful indeed! I filled the Ideas list.
Attachments
partition_filter.png

daniel

Post by daniel » 13 Aug 2010 15:27

Thanks I didn't know it was possible to export a filtered graph, it's very useful !

The other thing that puzzles me when manipulating graphs in group view is the fact that when you move a grouped node and then ungroup everything, the nodes you moved in the grouped view didn't move in the standard view. Am I missing something ? I work with very large graphs and I think it would be the only usable way of selecting and moving a group of thousands of nodes.

admin
Gephi Community Manager

Post by admin » 13 Aug 2010 16:14

In fact, there is potentially not only 2 views, but N views depending on the hierarchy. At each level one can group nodes, hence adding another level of hierarchy.

So the different views are not spatially correlated. I understand your need, and this could be an option to add. I filled the Ideas list.