[SOLVED] Can't set node ranking degree to "3"

Visual manipulations and refinements
Post Reply [phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1275: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
neogephi
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1275: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[SOLVED] Can't set node ranking degree to "3"

Post by neogephi » 19 Jul 2010 16:56

Hi All,

First off, Gephi is a marvelous piece of work, many thanks.

Second, I have run into a small problem - I have a graph with a very large number of nodes that have 2 degree (in + out) connections and then much smaller numbers of nodes that have from 4 degrees up.

My problem is that I want to set the node size for everything with more than 2 degrees. If I try and do this based on Indegree, I am able to set the range slider to 2 but nothing happens to the smallest nodes (with 2 degrees), everything above this changes size. If I try and do this based on degree I cannot set the range slider to the right value (it goes 2, 5, etc - the value I need is "3")

Any ideas?

Thanks.

mbastian
Gephi Architect
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1275: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: Can't set node ranking degree to "3"

Post by mbastian » 19 Jul 2010 17:16

If I try and do this based on degree I cannot set the range slider to the right value (it goes 2, 5, etc - the value I need is "3")
Did you try to double-click on the value to edit it? Double-click on the 2, change the value and press Enter.

neogephi

Post by neogephi » 19 Jul 2010 17:47

Hi,

This is the "Range" slider that I'm trying to adjust, not the Min/Max size - it doesn't respond to a double-click unfortunately.

I've attached a screenshot that shows the control I'm having difficulty with.

Thanks.
Attachments
screeng.JPG
screeng.JPG (20.16KiB)Viewed 4555 times

mbastian
Gephi Architect

Post by mbastian » 20 Jul 2010 08:02

Ah ok, I though you were speaking about the filters module, not the Ranking. In Ranking you can't manually edit the range, so I would recommend to filter the graph and then use Ranking. You can use the "Degree Range Filter" to get the subgraph you need.

neogephi

Post by neogephi » 20 Jul 2010 11:10

Thanks again.

A perhaps related question that might sort out my problem for me - is there a way to tell Gephi not to display labels at all for certain nodes? In my case these would be nodes with very few connections/degrees (2), I would still like to show the node on the graph as a circle but would prefer not to see the label if possible.

mbastian
Gephi Architect

Post by mbastian » 20 Jul 2010 12:51

is there a way to tell Gephi not to display labels at all for certain nodes
Not currently, but it is in the roadmap. There is a workaround however. Set to these nodes a label size equal to zero. Setting label size is also done from Ranking, check out page 23 of the Visualization Tutorial.

neogephi

Post by neogephi » 21 Jul 2010 09:50

Thanks for your help. I seem to have got what I want although not quite sure exactly how I managed it!

One thing I have noticed - if you use the expansion or contraction layouts to adjust a previous layout then it seems to mess with the text labels somehow and getting them back to where I want is problematic (so I don't do that anymore ;-). I also realised that it is not a good idea to leave "proportional label size" ticked in the preview mode if you are also adjusting the label size automatically in the "overview" mode.