Is there an auto apply feature for the Partition component?

Visual manipulations and refinements
Post Reply [phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1275: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
npkorsv
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1275: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Is there an auto apply feature for the Partition component?

Post by npkorsv » 18 Mar 2014 12:55

In Gephi 0.8.7 the Ranking component has an auto apply feature, where different attributes can be animated through size and color when playing back dynamic graphs. Is there no such feature for the Partition component?

I'm using Gephi extensively in my MsC in Distributed Systems, where I'm visualizing P2P simulations, so any help would be greatly appreciated. :-)

seinecle
Gephi Community Support

Re: Is there an auto apply feature for the Partition compone

Post by seinecle » 19 Mar 2014 09:55

No such feature...
With some difficulty, it could be hacked in the following way:
- outside Gephi, you create a mapping from your qualitative attributes to quantitative values. If you have just two values for an attribute Gender, "Male" and "Female"
Male -> value of 0.5
Female =.-> value of 1

Then in the ranking panel you change the settings so that values under 0.6 will appear green, values of 1 will appear yellow.
Shifting values from 0.6 to 1, and from 1 to 0.6, will cause in a continuous ranking operation a shift of nodes color from green to yellow and from yellow to green.

This would work for an attribute that would have a few (up to 5? 10?) different values maybe, beyond that I imagine this would become quite cumbersome to work with.

Anyhow, I'd be curious to know if that would help?

Best,

Clement

npkorsv
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1275: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Post by npkorsv » 19 Mar 2014 13:06

This is actually my workaround atm. The current attribute is a boolean, so I simply implemented it as an int which is either 0 or 1, then use the auto apply feature in the ranking component to visualize this. It works, but I imagine it would be more cumbersome with an attribute which could have more values as you're working with a color gradient, which might become a problem for me later.

Are there any plans to implement auto-apply in the partition component btw?

junkwhinger

Post by junkwhinger » 10 Jul 2014 11:35

Inspired by seinecle's comment, I've just tweaked my python script using networkx library to add float value to the nodes.
Rather than using just two values, I put 0, 0.2, 0.4, 0.6, 0.8 and 1 to the nodes, then ranked the colours by those values.
It's not as distinctive as Modularity, but guess it would do for the time being.. can't wait for the dynamic partition update..