Setting which node is on top in overlap situations

Visual manipulations and refinements
Post Reply [phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1275: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Sean_Murphy
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1275: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Setting which node is on top in overlap situations

Post by Sean_Murphy » 16 Jan 2014 01:41

Hi,

I'm working with a dataset that requires node overlap so that I can show both adjusted and non-adjusted values of a variable by putting a larger, transparent node behind a smaller, solid node.

Unfortunately, I can't see any option in gephi to set which node is displayed at the front when multiple nodes overlap. It appears to be set up such that the newest nodes have primacy, but this is the opposite to how I need it. Is there any way to set this in Gephi? If not, this would be handy functionality to have.

Regards,
Sean

seinecle
Gephi Community Support

Re: Setting which node is on top in overlap situations

Post by seinecle » 20 Jan 2014 02:18

Hi,
The z attribute controls the "depth" of the node. Positive values make a node appear on top of those with lower values. You can manually change the value of z in the edit mode (clicking on a node when the icone with the arrow and question mark is selected, makes an "edit" panel to appear).
Or you can set this value programmatically, use libraries to generate networks in the gexf format (where the z value can be set), such a rgexf or gexf4J.

Best,

Clement

[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1275: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable