Hide nodes with no remaining edges after filtering

Visual manipulations and refinements
Post Reply [phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1275: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
cjackson
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1275: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Hide nodes with no remaining edges after filtering

Post by cjackson » 18 Oct 2013 15:24

I've just started using Gephi - so this may be a very simple feature.
But I have been unable to find a way to do this and I have searched through the forums also.

After applying multiple filters, I now have several nodes that no longer appear be connected to the graph.
I would like to filter these disconnected nodes out so that they are not visible.

I am starting with a fully-connected, directed graph, which has ~250 nodes and ~8000 edges.
I have used the Edge Weight filter to eliminate edges with a weight outside a specific range.
Then I added a UNION operator as a sub-filter under the Edge Weight filter. Within this UNION operator, I added several Ego filters to display only a specific set of nodes and their immediate neighbors (depth of 1). I now have a graph with one main component and several disconnected nodes. I would like to hide the disconnected nodes.

I have tried inserting an INTERSECTION operator above the UNION operator and then adding a Degree Range filter. But the Degree Range Settings shown on the slider do not go down to 0. Instead, the lowest number shown is 4. I assume this is because the degree range filter is using the original graph (which is fully-connected) instead of the resulting graph AFTER my other filters have been applied.

I then tried replacing the Degree Range filters with a Giant Component filter within the INTERSECTION - but this also did not work. The Giant Component filter also seemed to be starting with the original graph instead of the resulting graph after the Ego filters were applied.

It seems that I need some way to tell Gephi to apply the filters in a specific order. That is, first do all the Ego filters, then , on the resulting graph, do the Giant Component (or Degree Range) filter. But I cannot find a way to control the order of the filters.

I'll attaching a screen shot of my current set up.

Hopefully someone can advise me.

Thanks
Attachments
Gephi.PNG

seinecle
Gephi Community Support

Re: Hide nodes with no remaining edges after filtering

Post by seinecle » 20 Oct 2013 09:55

Hi,
The principle is to embed one filter into another. In your case, you drag the "edge weight filter" to the bottom panel. Then you drag the "Degree range" filter (in the topology folder). Expand this filter so that you see "Drag subfilter here". In this place precisely, you drag the "edge weight filter" (it will become a subfilter of "Degree range"). See screenshot for how it should look like at the end.
Finally, use the slider in the degree range filter to have a minimum value of "1" -> nodes with degree of zero will be filtered out.

Best,

Clement
Attachments
embedded filters.jpg

[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1275: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable