Relationships with varying weights

Visual manipulations and refinements
Post Reply [phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1275: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
lalouse
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1275: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Relationships with varying weights

Post by lalouse » 03 Sep 2013 21:10

Hi,

I'm trying to figure out the best way to depict relationship data based on self-reported responses.

For example, I have a case manager who said they have a strong relationship with a coordinator. However, the coordinator said they have a medium relationship with the case manager.

Gephi will basically have one edge between the two with a designated weight based on the strength of the relationship (according to the survey) and I'm not sure whether anyone has ideas about how I can show this discrepancy in the responses.

Thanks.

Lama

pegerp
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1275: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: Relationships with varying weights

Post by pegerp » 04 Sep 2013 10:36

Hi Lama.

Gephi does not currently support multiple edges between nodes. However some people have figured out some workarounds to fit their needs. With Google search (https://www.google.com/search?q=multipl ... .gephi.org) you can find relevant topics about the issue.

Most recently lukowitz asked about similar issue couple days ago: http://forum.gephi.org/viewtopic.php?p=9245#p9245 - he managed his problem by adding new columns for the edge data that couldn't be directly represented as separate edges. In your case you could for example encode both AB (eg. strong) relationship and BA (eg. medium) for each edge as a separate column.