Two Groups of Nodes

Visual manipulations and refinements
Post Reply [phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1275: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
ben_hd
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1275: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Two Groups of Nodes

Post by ben_hd » 30 Jan 2013 13:45

Hi folks,

iam new to Gephi and i have no idea which kind of filter option i have to use to solve my problem.

the prob: i got two "groups" in my data lab. there are investores and companies. Now i want to color them up in two different ways. Investors shall be red, companies blue.

I know that i could use the painter and color it manually but my observation is that the painter does not differ in intensity. Which means a deeper blue for high connected nodes etc.

Any idear for a filter function?

Thank u in advance!

cheers,
ben

seinecle
Gephi Community Support

Re: Two Groups of Nodes

Post by seinecle » 04 Feb 2013 10:01

Hi,

Welcome on the forum!
Do you have an attribute attached to your two groups of nodes? (an attribute can be seen as a a column in the data laboratory). If not, create one and for each node fill in whether it is an investor or a company (the best is actually to do that outside Gephi, in Excel for instance, then to import your network into Gephi.

So, let's assume you have now a node atttribute called "isCompanyOrInvestor"
Then, simply (there is a quicker way that I explain below!!)
- Go to the "filter" panel in the overview
- Browse through the "Library" folder of filters, select Attributes -> Equal -> "isCompanyOrInvestor"

- Drag this "isCompanyOrInvestor" item to the Queries panel below.
a) - Go there, write "investor" and click "Filter". This will make all Companies disappear from your network.
b) - **Right** click on the icon to select colors, pick a color.
c) - **Left** click on the same icon, this will paint all your nodes (all investors) in the color you picked.
d) - Click on "Filter" again, all your "Companies" nodes come back on the graph.
Repeat a) through d), for "company" this time.

You'll end up with groups of nodes of the color you want.

------
Oh, but there is a quicker way! Still assuming you have a "isCompanyOrInvestor" attribute for all your nodes:
- Go to the partion panel.
- Make sure the Node toggle button is clicked (should be by default)
- Click on the icon with the two revolving green arrows - that's a refresh
- In the drop down menu list of attributes, pick your "isCompanyOrInvestor" attribute
- You should see two values ("investor" and "company") with corresponding squares of color. Click on these squares to pick a color you like
- Click "Apply" at the bottom right of the panel. Done!

Best,

Clement

[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1275: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable