Nodes size using external variable

Visual manipulations and refinements
Post Reply [phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1275: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
andgan
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1275: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Nodes size using external variable

Post by andgan » 06 Apr 2012 13:52

Hi All!

I'm new in Gephi and I read the tutorial where is explained how to change the nodes size using the ranking panel. However here I can only select variable created using the statistics panel. I have imported a variable with the size I want to give to my nodes. How can I make gephi understand which size the nodes should be, using this variable?

Thanks!!

Thisislike
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1275: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: Nodes size using external variable

Post by Thisislike » 06 Jun 2012 20:48

I don't know how you imported your variable. If it was a column you imported into your Data Laboratory, then it should show up as a ranking parameter. Alternatively, if it was from a file, you should make sure that you encoded it correctly according to the file format's specification. You could export your existing Gephi project as that file format and then open it in an editor to see how it looks. But all works fine for me... Maybe if all else fail try to reinstall the newest version of Gephi?

elijah
Gephi Community Support

Re: Nodes size using external variable

Post by elijah » 06 Jun 2012 22:21

You want to make sure when you import your data that you set the format of the field for that value to "Integer" (if it does not have decimals) or "Double" (if it does have decimals). When you import data into Gephi, it defaults the field type to "String" which will not be available for Ranking.

If you want to modify the column type while you're in Gephi, the best way to do that is go to the Data Laboratory and click on Duplicate Column and select the column that has the values you want and when you duplicate it to a new column, make sure the "Type" is set to "Double" or "Integer" as above.