Which Java for gephi and how to get it?

Problems with getting it running
Post Reply [phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1275: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
jessicalavabre
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1275: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Which Java for gephi and how to get it?

Post by jessicalavabre » 15 Jan 2014 06:54

Hi,

I am trying to have gephi works under Ubuntu 12.04.
I have installed Gephi 8.01-beta and it open without trouble. However, some functions failed to work. As an example, I can't visualize my graph in the preview window (I tried with the miserables dataset).

I think that the problem might be that I haven't installed the proper java. I am not really an expert with computers so I would greatly appreciate some lights on that topic.
I checked the installation instruction and it is specified that I need the last official JRE packages (update 25+). How can I check if I already have it? Where can I get it if not?

It is also specified that "OpenJDK is not supported, be sure to run the official Java 6 version from Oracle’s website." But on the ubuntu-documentation website there is the following warning: "Oracle Java 6 had reached its end of life in November 2012. There is at least one severe known vulnerability in this version, and since Java 6 is neither supported by Canonical nor Oracle, there may be many more! You should really not install this unless you have a specific need to do so. It is recommended that users either migrate to OpenJDK, or install Oracle Java 7. "

Here is what I get when typing java -version in a terminal:
java version "1.6.0_27"
OpenJDK Runtime Environment (IcedTea6 1.12.6) (6b27-1.12.6-1ubuntu0.12.04.4)
OpenJDK 64-Bit Server VM (build 20.0-b12, mixed mode)

This is quite cryptic for me, can anyone tell me what it meansr?

Thanks!

Jessica

Alphono
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1275: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: Which Java for gephi and how to get it?

Post by Alphono » 16 Jan 2014 03:13

You have to install Oracle Java, you can easily do that by following this tutorial at http://www.webupd8.org/.

http://www.webupd8.org/2012/01/install- ... u-via.html

Cheers!!! :D

jessicalavabre

Re: Which Java for gephi and how to get it?

Post by jessicalavabre » 16 Jan 2014 09:26

Thanks!
Gephi works just fine now. So easy to fix when you know how :D

Cheers