IT people won't install Gephi bc of Java problems

Problems with getting it running
Post Reply [phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1275: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
bfbraum
IT people won't install Gephi bc of Java problems

Post by bfbraum » 22 Aug 2013 21:36

All,

I'm trying to use Gephi in an online course on data visualization, but my IT folks won't install it on the lab computers. The response I get is,
There is a problem with Gephi. It requires an older version of Java to work. There have been numerous security problems with Java which have been fixed by updates, so for security reasons we need to keep the latest Java version installed. The developers are aware of this and are working on it. Hopefully this will be fixed before fall term.
Fall term is upon us... is there any prospect that I'll be able to use the program soon?

Thanks!
Bear Braumoeller
The Ohio State University

admin
Gephi Community Manager
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1275: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: IT people won't install Gephi bc of Java problems

Post by admin » 22 Aug 2013 21:48

Hi,

We are working on a solution: currently one of our libraries requires an old version of Java to work propertly on Mac OS. It is a low-level component and we had difficulties in upgrading it, however you can test the development version of Gephi on a Mac with Java 7 and see if it works:
https://github.com/gephi/gephi

JoseManuel
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1275: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Post by JoseManuel » 08 Oct 2013 14:30

Hi,
Has this issue with Java 7 in Mac 10.8.5 been solved?
Please let me know?
Thanks!

Sarah2640

Post by Sarah2640 » 12 Apr 2014 10:24

Hey guys, i seem to be having this same problem and i don't know whether its my version of Java, my mac, Gephi or what :?

I don't suppose anyone else is having this same problem still?! Thanks :)

Sarah
Last edited by Sarah2640 on 04 Aug 2015 18:41, edited 2 times in total.

stesin

Post by stesin » 16 Apr 2014 08:26

Got the same problem here on Windows machine. We are all-Java-1.7 shop and freshly downloaded Gephi uses 1.6. This way Neo4j plugin does not work, it requires 1.7. :(

Kurtz30

Post by Kurtz30 » 11 May 2014 22:26

Hi, Just wondering if there is an update for OSX Java issue? Im having the same problem with the Neo4j plugin.

Also concerned with the general security issues of running the old version of Java in general.

blue.bear

Post by blue.bear » 29 May 2014 12:56

This java problem might be huge. Do you know any replacament for Gephi?

JimBiard

Post by JimBiard » 24 Jun 2014 15:26

Hi.

I was just having this same problem, and I discovered that if you edit the gephi/etc/gephi.conf file to specify the location of your 1.7 JDK folder (jdkhome), then everything seems to work fine. The line in the file is

#jdkhome="/path/to/jdk"

Change it to

jdkhome="/usr/lib/jdk1.7.0_55"

or whatever is appropriate for your platform. Be sure to remove the '#' from the beginning of the line.

Olivander

Post by Olivander » 06 Sep 2014 11:31

JimBiard wrote:Hi.

I was just having this same problem, and I discovered that if you edit the gephi/etc/gephi.conf file to specify the location of your 1.7 JDK folder (jdkhome), then everything seems to work fine. The line in the file is

#jdkhome="/path/to/jdk"

Change it to

jdkhome="/usr/lib/jdk1.7.0_55"

or whatever is appropriate for your platform. Be sure to remove the '#' from the beginning of the line.
Jim I tried that but it didn't work for me. Are there any other steps I'm missing?