Increasing Memory - non coder speaker

Problems with getting it running
Post Reply [phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1275: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
MalibuWesty
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1275: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Increasing Memory - non coder speaker

Post by MalibuWesty » 16 Apr 2013 19:53

Hi All -

I'm trying to update to the 64-version so I ran analyze some larger networks. Also, I'm by no means a coder, so what is simple to even a beginner coder, is very confusing to me!

I've been able to modify the memory settings, and download jdk1.7.0_17. I believe I uncommented the jdkhome line correctly also.

However, I really have no idea what I'm doing here, and just wanted to make sure. If someone could check over the gephi.conf code I attached, and let me know what else I might need to do to use Gephi with more memory, it would be greatly appreciated! BTW - I'm using a newer Dell laptop, Windows 7, i5 processor, 8gigs of RAM.

Code: Select all

# ${HOME} will be replaced by user home directory according to platform
default_userdir="${HOME}/.${APPNAME}/0.8.2/dev"
default_mac_userdir="${HOME}/Library/Application Support/${APPNAME}/0.8.2/dev"

# options used by the launcher by default, can be overridden by explicit
# command line switches
default_options="--branding gephi -J-Xms64m -J-Xmx1400m -J-Xverify:none -J-Dsun.java2d.noddraw=true -J-Dsun.awt.noerasebackground=true -J-Dnetbeans.indexing.noFileRefresh=true -J-Dplugin.manager.check.interval=EVERY_DAY"
# for development purposes you may wish to append: -J-Dnetbeans.logger.console=true -J-ea

# default location of JDK/JRE, can be overridden by using --jdkhome <dir> switch
jdkhome="C:\Program Files\Java\jdk1.7.0_17"

# clusters' paths separated by path.separator (semicolon on Windows, colon on Unices)
#extra_clusters=

pegerp
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1275: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: Increasing Memory - non coder speaker

Post by pegerp » 17 Apr 2013 07:44

It looks correct. You've probably found the instructions how to increase memory at https://gephi.org/users/install/#memory

You can try and set the -J-Xmx parameter value to even higher value, for example -J-Xmx6000m (6000 megabytes). It's usually recommended not to raise this value over the maximum amount of your RAM. However I noticed once that I could import a huge network after raising the Xmx value to 40g on a system with only 24g memory. After importing the network Gephi was only using maybe 15g memory.

Also another important point is that your jdkhome is pointing to the 64-bit Java that you have installed. Double check that it is correct.