Generating an Edgelist

Get help with your data
Post Reply [phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1275: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
godot90
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1275: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Generating an Edgelist

Post by godot90 » 05 May 2017 21:33

I am very new to Gephi and I've done a lot of searching for this question but have so far found one result that may not be the most appropriate.

I am trying to do a "co-author" network analysis. My data looks like this:

DocNo. Author
1 Smith
1 Jones
2 Smith
2 Davis
2 Johnson
3 Davis
4 Martin

The structure is one line for each author. The goal being to automatically generate an EDGELIST from this (for instance Smith-->Jones, Smith-->Davis, etc.)

Is there a clean, "easy" way to do this in Gephi or does anyone know of a method for generating this?

So far what I've been doing is using R and making a matrix with the xtabs(~Author+DocNo, data) command and then doing a tcrossprod of that matrix to get to an adjacency matrix and then using igraph package in R to get the edgelist. But I want to make sure that there isn't a simpler way.

Thanks,
-Chris

eduramiba
Gephi Code Manager
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1275: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: Generating an Edgelist

Post by eduramiba » 05 May 2017 23:35

Hi Chris,
Similarity computer plugin might help with this: https://gephi.org/plugins/#/plugin/similaritycomputer

godot90

Re: Generating an Edgelist

Post by godot90 » 06 May 2017 14:46

Thanks! I'll give that a shot!