Node attributes "in the alternative" (decisionmakers' names)

Get help with your data
CaseLawMiner
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1275: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Node attributes "in the alternative" (decisionmakers' names)

Post by CaseLawMiner » 17 Nov 2016 11:50

Hello! I am fairly new to this type of research, but I have used Gephi a bit for basic mapping / visualisation. I have searched for an answer and did not find it, so apologies if this this has been covered.

So, I am doing network analysis of case law and I am proceeding as follows. I have two csv files, one with nodes, the other one with edges. The first one has attributes relating to the case, something like:

Code: Select all

Id,Attribute1,Year,Attribute2
CaseA,JurisdictionA,1988,ReproductiveRights
The other is what case cites another and the type of citation, so that would be

Source,Target,Attribute
Case1,Case2,CitTopicA
Case2,Case3,CitTopicB
Now, what I want to do is to add the name of the individual judges in the cases so as to compare it to the citation patterns. However, there multiple judges. So, how do I go about comparing that? The problem is that I don't know what type of variable that is. If I have:

CaseA,JurisdictionA,1988,ReproductiveRights,JudgeA,JudgeB,JudgeC
I need to be able to find a correlation with

CaseB,JurisdictionC,2001,ReproductiveRights,JudgeC,JudgeD,JudgeE
Is this possible?

Thanks a lot!

eduramiba
Gephi Code Manager
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1275: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: Node attributes "in the alternative" (decisionmakers' na

Post by eduramiba » 17 Nov 2016 12:27

Hi,
You can use the String List (String [] array) type for that, when importing the spreadsheet.

Just make sure you correctly escape values in CSV with " or the commas inside your judges list won't be parsed correctly.

Id,Attribute1,Year,Attribute2,Judges
CaseA,JurisdictionA,1988,ReproductiveRights,"JudgeA,JudgeB,JudgeC"

CaseLawMiner

Post by CaseLawMiner » 17 Nov 2016 12:45

Thank you! That sounds fantastic! Do you mean that if I write

CaseB,JurisdictionC,2001,ReproductiveRights,"JudgeJohnny,JudgeDonald,JudgeEric"
Gephi will then be able to find a correlation with

CaseB,JurisdictionC,2001,ReproductiveRights,"JudgeAlice,JudgeBob,JudgeDonald"
?

If so, this solves an enormous amount of problems!

Thanks!

eduramiba
Gephi Code Manager

Post by eduramiba » 17 Nov 2016 13:02

Oh, I think I don't understand, I thought you just wanted to import an attribute as a list of strings.

Anyway you can try it to see if it's what you need.

CaseLawMiner

Post by CaseLawMiner » 17 Nov 2016 14:18

Let me put it this way: what I want to do is to link decisions decided by the same judges, but in each case there are at least three judges. So what I want to do is find a way for Gephi to see that two cases have been decided by the same judges. One way I can think of is to make Gephi filter it by attributes, but I assume it would be necessary for the same judge to be in the same column for it to work.

In other words, I do not understand if it can do something like that. Let's say I want to find two cases decided by Judge Bob
CaseB,JurisdictionC,2001,ReproductiveRights,JudgeAlice,JudgeBob,JudgeDonald

CaseA,JurisdictionD,2001,ReproductiveRights,JudgeBob,JudgeRobert,JudgeLawrence
Now Judge Bob is in two different columns. Can Gephi filter that?

The alternative would be to have something like:
CaseB,JurisdictionC,2001,ReproductiveRights,"JudgeAlice,JudgeBob,JudgeDonald"
CaseA,JurisdictionD,2001,ReproductiveRights,"JudgeBob,JudgeRobert,JudgeLawrence"
Can Gephi filter this better?

Thanks a lot!

eduramiba
Gephi Code Manager

Post by eduramiba » 17 Nov 2016 16:36

Oh, core Gephi can't automatically find relationships between nodes, but you can try with this plugin: https://gephi.org/plugins/#/plugin/similarity-computer

CaseLawMiner

Post by CaseLawMiner » 17 Nov 2016 18:37

Thank you! This actually sounds quite useful!

CaseLawMiner

Post by CaseLawMiner » 18 Nov 2016 01:42

Actually, I am also asking another related question: can't I simply do it in the data laboratory? (By searching and, hopefully, finding a way to highlight or display just those nodes?)

Thanks!

eduramiba
Gephi Code Manager

Post by eduramiba » 19 Nov 2016 23:18

Yeah, you can do some filtering manually in data lab and filters window.

CaseLawMiner

Post by CaseLawMiner » 22 Nov 2016 14:25

Thank you! This is very useful. Do you have any suggestions about how to go about it? I can search within the data laboratory, but I don't seem to be able to filter the graph based on the search results.

Thanks again!