Question about Excel Import and Edges

Get help with your data
Post Reply [phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1275: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
ssdesign
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1275: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Question about Excel Import and Edges

Post by ssdesign » 29 Aug 2016 20:02

Hi,
I have an excel file with multiple rows of data.
The columns are:

ID - SCORE - DEPARTMENT - SPECIALIZATION - SUBJECT_ID - Subject Name

Now it is possible that a subject can be part of multiple SPECIALIZATIONS, so it will repeat itself in multiple rows.
It is also possible that a DEPARTMENT has mulriple SPECIALIZATIONS, so Department name will repeat multiple times in rows.
LAstly, a Specialization will contain multiple Subjects, so the Specialization will repeat in multiple rows too.

Now, in this case, I would like the edges to be drawn between the Department ---> Specialization ---> Subject
Some kind of network graph.

For this, what will I need to do to create the EDGE CSV file?
I read that I may need to add the Source and Target columns. But will I have to add the source target values manually? I have like 5000 rows of dummy data.

Any help is greatly appreciated. Very Very new to Gephi, so pardon if I sound ignorant :)

eduramiba
Gephi Code Manager
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1275: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: Question about Excel Import and Edges

Post by eduramiba » 29 Aug 2016 20:05

With normal spreadsheet import no, one row is always one node/edge.

But probably this plugin https://marketplace.gephi.org/plugin/ex ... o-network/ is useful for this (download from Tools - Plugins in Gephi 0.9.1).

ssdesign

Re: Question about Excel Import and Edges

Post by ssdesign » 30 Aug 2016 00:49

Hi,
Thanks a lot for your reply.
The Excel import plugin did help.

Although I was only able to generate links between two columns. WAs not able to generate multiple cross linkings across three columns.

Guess I might need to try it a few times if I am missing anything.