Node Size alters when exporting to image

Get help with your data
Post Reply [phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1275: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
0815pascal
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1275: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Node Size alters when exporting to image

Post by 0815pascal » 09 Feb 2015 18:46

Hi everyone,

I've got an annoying problem when exporting my network to a PNG imagine and I thought maybe someone of you met the same issue and knows a workaround to it. My problem is this: I set the size of the node in the center of the network to 30. However when exporting the image the network gets stretched to fit the size of the image (which I defined to be 1900 x 800 pixels). The issue is that smaller networks like the first one I attached get stretched much more than the bigger networks (see image 2) which leads to the result that the central node in image 1 appears bigger than the central node in image 2, whereas they're supposed to have the same size.

How can I deal with this and make sure they have both the same size?

I'm thankful for any suggestion or idea
Pascal
Attachments
Attac-Syndicats.png
PSU-Syndicats.png

pegerp
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1275: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: Node Size alters when exporting to image

Post by pegerp » 14 Feb 2015 18:38

Hi Pascal.

I can't confirm whether this will fix your issue but it's worth a try. When you are opening your network there is the initial import screen. On the screen you can toggle "Auto-scale" checkbox which by default is turned on. Turn auto-scale off when opening the network file. It might help preserve the same dimensions between networks.

0815pascal

Post by 0815pascal » 16 Feb 2015 13:48

Thank you for your answer! Unfortunately that didn't solve the problem. Actually the problem occurs when exporting the image and not when opening/importing the network. It's not until when it comes to exporting that the problem occurs. The problem is that the network gets scaled in order to fit the size of the image (e.g. 1900px X 800px). However, as you can see in the image, smaller networks are scaled much more than larger ones

pegerp

Post by pegerp » 19 Feb 2015 08:57

That is a difficult problem indeed.

One idea that comes to mind but it is sort of a workaround. You could insert dummy nodes on top-left, top-right, bottom-left and bottom-right corners that are always on same coordinates regardless of your network. Make these nodes very small and no edges connected to them. When Gephi exports the graph these nodes will always be on the same positions and make rest of the network seem to be in same place regardless of its size.