Importing similarity matrix

Get help with your data
Post Reply [phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1275: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
polysemygirl
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1275: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Importing similarity matrix

Post by polysemygirl » 06 Jan 2015 12:26

I've done a sentence sorting task. It's generated a similarity matrix (attached), which shows what proportion of subjects put each pair of sentences into the same group. I'd like to use Gephi to create a network out of this data. I've spent a day Googling how to do this/how other people have done this, but I'm none the wiser.

I've seen previous posts mentioning that I'd need to import an edge table and a node table. Presumably the node table would be a list of the sentences. I don't know what the edge table would consist of. I'd be grateful if someone would answer the following questions:

1. Is there a way of importing the similarity matrix, as is, into Gephi? If not,
2. Would my node table look something like the second attachment? and
3. How can I convert the values in the similarity matrix into an edge table?

Thank you.
Attachments
over 3.3 node table.csv
Node table
(2.29KiB)Downloaded 139 times
OVER 3.3 sim matrix.csv
Similarity matrix
(3.79KiB)Downloaded 200 times

polysemygirl
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1275: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: Importing similarity matrix

Post by polysemygirl » 06 Jan 2015 16:08

Update:

I've changed the column and row headers to numbers (1-30), filled in the white spaces with zeroes, changed commas to semi-colons and imported the file using File > Open. Success!

However, I'd really like the nodes to be labelled with the sentences, rather than numbers. Is there a limit on node string length when importing the file through File > Open? I can go in and manually edit the node labels by copying and pasting the sentences in, and haven't had any error messages re: string length. In this case with 30 sentences, it's not a big deal. But I'll have more sentences in later versions of this task.

Thanks!