Edges problem

Get help with your data
Post Reply [phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1275: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
rimik89
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1275: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Edges problem

Post by rimik89 » 21 Dec 2014 19:26

Hello,

I'm very new to Gephi, so i'm not so sure what to do with this problem:
I have a csv file, that has a footballer's name, his national team name and his club (Like "Messi, Argentina, Barcelona").
I want the name of the players to be the nodes - i thing i managed to do this.
The problem is defying the edges - i want the edges to be a connection between two players that play together: whether it's the team or the club.
Of course there are other attributes, that i will use when i will analyze the data.
I can't define the edges without "source" and "target" columns. So my question is:
Do i have to do this manually? or is there a "Gephi" way to help me with that?

Thanks in advance

pegerp
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1275: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: Edges problem

Post by pegerp » 22 Dec 2014 12:33

Hi rimik89.

You have to do it manually (or programmatically). Notice that in Gephi you can only have one type of connection between nodes. It is not possible to have two kind of relationships between two nodes. In your example the relationship could be "team" (country) or "club" - this kind of relationships in Gephi are not possible. That is, the edges don't have any type. Edges can have properties though which you can use to specify the type of connection - the edges just aren't visually separate.

However you can build a network that does what you were asking. Here's how:

I recommend you use VNA file format. It's description is at http://gephi.github.io/users/supported- ... na-format/

Your data would look for example like:

Code: Select all

*Node data
ID team club
Messi Argentina Barca
Neymar Brazil Barca
"Dani Alves" Brazil Barca
*Tie data
from to strength
Messi Neymar 1
Messi "Dani Alves" 1
Building this data format you have to do outside Gephi. You can obviously build the graph within Gephi manually. If you know any programming or scripting language I recommend you try to use them. VNA file format is nice because it's relatively easy to produce correct syntax.

If you were to specify relationship type you could add two boolean columns to Tie data, eg.:

from to team club strength
Messi Neymar 0 1 1

Good luck.