Plaintext Notes (from nvALT)

Get help with your data
Post Reply [phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1275: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
mjknght
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1275: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Plaintext Notes (from nvALT)

Post by mjknght » 04 Nov 2014 18:29

Dear all,

I'm completely new to all this, but am hugely excited to have recently discovered Gephi, and have a visualisation related to a large body of research that I would really like to achieve.

What I am looking to do is to visualise the links between several thousand .txt files that are related to one another in 2 ways. First, this is a folder of plaintext notes created on a Mac in nvALT (fork of Notational Velocity), which allows semantic links between notes to be made using the common syntax of [[double squared brackets]]. Second, these notes are also tagged, with the tagging now native to OS X (but also compatible with the OpenMeta format created and used by the likes of Ironic Software in Leap, etc.).

I'd like to visualise both the links and the tags that relate these "nodes", and to manipulate that in various ways.

Perhaps what I am describing is simple and obvious, or perhaps its impossible. Sorry for the newbie query, but I'd love to hear from seasoned Gephi experts either way!

Thanks in advance to any who can help,

Mark

pegerp
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1275: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: Plaintext Notes (from nvALT)

Post by pegerp » 06 Nov 2014 05:13

Welcome mjknght.

I think I did not fully grasp the challenges in your description - however here are some thoughts that came to mind. Hopefully you'll find these useful.

I suggest you take a look at VNA file format at http://gephi.github.io/users/supported- ... na-format/. You could build a VNA file that has "*tie data" that represents links between your nodes. Each node is your plaintext note.

Then using node colors in VNA you could assign each tag a unique color.

Gephi has some limitations that you might be thinking of. You can only have one type of edges between nodes. It is not possible to represent eg. tag-edge and a semantic-edge - there is only one type of edge. If the connection type is not relevant to you then maybe just having combined edge weight from your both relation types count towards edge weight between two notes. In VNA format the weight is represented as "strength" column in tie data.

Another limitation is that Gephi currently only supports one type of node shape. Tagging a node with some property cannot be assigned to any custom shape.

Obviously you'll need to programmatically create the VNA file from the data you have. If you have programming experience and time you can build custom plugins to Gephi relatively easily: https://github.com/gephi/gephi-plugins-bootcamp

Good luck!