[SOLVED] "impossible to read the given file"

Get help with your data
Post Reply [phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1275: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
d-lam
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1275: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[SOLVED] "impossible to read the given file"

Post by d-lam » 04 May 2010 01:39

Hi,
I'm new here!!!
First I have to say that you all make a great job!
Gephi is a nice program and I hope I can do the things I need with it.
Maybe I should say that I'm not a developer....so sorry if my questions are a little bit trivial.

My question is: If I want to open a GraphML File with the size of 5,74 mb or bigger....I get "warning - impossible to read the given file"! Is there a limitation in file size.....or number of nodes & edges??? Can I handle it? Maybe import-settings or something? I only have the GraphML files.....what can I do to open & visualize those files???

Would be nice if you can help me!!!!
Thanks & Greetings from Germany
d-lam

admin
Gephi Community Manager
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1275: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: "impossible to read the given file"

Post by admin » 04 May 2010 08:18

Hi d-lam,

Welcome to Gephi community! Hopefully we are not all developers here ;)

Gephi can handle much bigger files with only computer (JVM) memory as limitation. If the file had some parsing errors, you'll have a more precise message in the report panel ; and if it would be a problem with memory, there wouldn't be any message as Java would swap.

I don't find this message in Gephi sources, so it's weird but Java seems not able to open the file. On which operating system does Gephi run?

cheers,
seb

mbastian
Gephi Architect

Post by mbastian » 04 May 2010 08:30

Hi, I'm responsible of the GraphML parser

This message usually means your GraphML has an invalid XML syntax. Can you post the file here or a subset of it, so we can have a look?

cheers

d-lam

Post by d-lam » 04 May 2010 09:15

Thanks for the answers.

@admin: I use Gephi on my PC with Windows XP and I have installed the newest Java version!

@mbastian: Ok, than there is a problem with the file (not with the program, I hope) and it is a XML syntax problem! Could you tell me what's a XML Syntax in 2-3 sentences? :oops:

At the moment I write my Diploma Project at the University of Hamburg and I got the files from my advisor.....so I have to ask him if I can post the file! He made the files so if it is a file-problem maybe he can fix it!
But how can I post the file here??? :oops:
I don't upload the file from my computer, right? :roll:

greetings
d-lam

mbastian
Gephi Architect

Post by mbastian » 04 May 2010 09:35

A good trick is to drag-n-drop your GraphML file to Firefox, which can read and check XML syntax of the file. If your file is correct, it will display it. If not it will print an error message, that you could post here.

d-lam

Post by d-lam » 04 May 2010 10:02

Cool, that is a good trick!!!!
I get at you if I talked to my advisor!!!!!
Thanks man.
d-lam

d-lam

Post by d-lam » 06 May 2010 18:24

Hey,
my advisor fixed the files and now I can open it!!!! And yes.....the syntax was wrong!

The files are very big I think.....the biggest is 18,8mb with 2870 nodes and 94791 edges!!!!!
So I have a lot to do!!!!!!

Maybe do you have some tips & tricks for my SNA or something I have to regard???
For example: this topic helped me I think... http://forum.gephi.org/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=172&start=0

Thanks a lot for your very quick help.
And if I have another question....I get at you!!! ;)
Greetings D-Lam

admin
Gephi Community Manager

Post by admin » 10 May 2010 14:49

Hi,

Look at these works: http://forum.gephi.org/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=162

Especially the tutorials written by the community:

Getting Started With Gephi Network Visualisation App – My Facebook Network part 1, 2, 3
Using Netvizz & Gephi to Analyze a Facebook Network

Good luck!

d-lam

Post by d-lam » 11 May 2010 15:22

Thanks a lot!!!
That's great!

Greetings,
D-Lam

prasoon

Post by prasoon » 06 Jun 2010 13:56

I faced the same issue when I generated the graph file in XML to load into Gephi. I used a simple trick to fix it. I opened the XML file in Textpad and saved it in UTF-8 encoding using the File->Save As menu in Textpad. cheers!