Converting list data into node data

Get help with your data
Post Reply [phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1275: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
cbustaylor
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1275: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Converting list data into node data

Post by cbustaylor » 29 May 2012 19:51

So I understand that Gephi will read data as each row is a series of nodes. However, my data tends to be produced in a different format. The first column is a participant identifier (e.g., number) and second column is a data point. So for example, the first 5 rows might be all data for participant 1 - let's say the five cars they own (accord, insight, taurus, jeep, volvo) - pardon the stupid example. But my data would look like #101 - accord, #101 - insight, etc. Instead of accord - insight, accord-taurus, etc.

Any way to transform my data easily? Does it have to be transformed? Doesn't anyone ever deal with data that isn't in the required node - node format?

seinecle
Gephi Community Support

Re: Converting list data into node data

Post by seinecle » 29 May 2012 21:24

Hi,

Thanks for posting. Could you provide more explanations with a simple example? I could not understand the one you provided. As you know, a network is made of nodes and edges. So could you specify:
- how is your data formatted
- how would you like to transform it into a network.

Best,

Clement

cbustaylor
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1275: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Post by cbustaylor » 01 Jun 2012 17:47

I appreciate your reply and will do my best.

Generally, in the consumer research work I do I have tried to find use for network visualization as a way to visualize the patterns/connections between the 'ideas' chosen by different people. Imagine 5 people each listing their top 3 ice creams (basic example). This tool has helped to understand that strawberry and vanilla are more often picked together than peanut butter and chocolate, and peppermint is typically unrelated to picking of those already mentioned - the network viz would show strawberry and vanilla in proximity to each other far away from the pairing of peanut butter and chocolate and also far away from peppermint.

Ok, so now the real question of what does it take for me to get my data into usable form. Now I actually have run Gephi on such data sets before, but I've manually converted my data and that's painstaking for larger data sets. So I attached an example of how my data typically is recorded and how I think Gephi would want it. I just don't know how to convert it? Or if it is necessary?

So to your questions... the attached file shows how my data is formatted. And I think the first paragraph should explain how I see it transforming into a network.

Thanks! And very happy to continue to clarify. I do appreciate the help.
Attachments
sample data.xlsx
(9.34KiB)Downloaded 169 times

seinecle
Gephi Community Support

Post by seinecle » 02 Jun 2012 15:40

OK I see what you mean now.

Sorry for the self-promotion, but I developed a little software called "Gaze" which does exactly what you need. In the case of your sample, it can:

- create a network of consumers, where two consumers will be connected if they like the same tastes.

- create a network of tastes, where two tastes will be connected if they are liked by the same persons.

These networks can be directly imported to Gephi.

All the details here:
https://github.com/seinecle/Gaze/wiki/G ... r-networks

To download it visit:
http://www.clementlevallois.net/portfolio.html

Don't hesitate to send me direct emails if you find bugs in this program (I just tested it on my computer).

Best,

Clement