Nodes with multiple values per attribute?

Get help with your data
Post Reply [phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1275: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
bassman
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1275: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Nodes with multiple values per attribute?

Post by bassman » 15 Feb 2012 16:17

Does Gephi support multiple values per node attribute?

For example, if I have node "Bart Simpson", can I have a single attribute "catch phrase", with multiple values, such as:
  • "Don't have a cow, man!"
  • "Cowabunga!"
  • "Doh!"
The nature of my data (Enterprise Architecture data-architecture) is such that I'd either need the above functionality, or to have multiple "Bart Simpson" nodes (so-to-speak), with one node for each value of the attribute. Obviously not an ideal solution. Creating a node for each "catch phrase" would result in too many nodes to visualize (for my environment).

bassman
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1275: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: Nodes with multiple values per attribute?

Post by bassman » 16 Feb 2012 15:23

Maybe the "list-string" attribute data-type in the GEXF primary PDF document would do this?

If so, anyone care to comment on how frequently the "list-string" attribute data-type is used? I don't want to get into "unexplored territory"...

admin
Gephi Community Manager

Post by admin » 16 Feb 2012 15:35

list-string could be relevant, however it is not something the Gephi UI is able to use yet.

eduramiba
Gephi Code Manager

Post by eduramiba » 16 Feb 2012 15:36

Hi,
List types don't have any specific support, except for number list types that can be visualized as sparklines or some statistics in data laboratory. So list-string is not much different than string.

If you need to hold an indeterminate number of phrases, you should use a single string column and store them like "phrase 1","phrase 2",... or similar.

Eduardo