[SOLVED] Need help starting out

Get help with your data
Post Reply [phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1275: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
DickWhitman
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1275: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[SOLVED] Need help starting out

Post by DickWhitman » 20 Oct 2011 04:03

I have a large data set in a CSV file that sort of looks like the mini table I create below as an example. Could someone please explain the steps I need to take in order to import this data into Gephi and plot out which players play for what team (ie I want to be able to see that Adam plays for Team 1 and Team 3)?

Another newbie question- I would imagine here that the teams are the nodes and the players are the edge? Could someone please clarify precisely what those mean? I'm very new to this. Thank you so much for helping me figure this out!

Team 1 John
Team 2 Tom
Team 3 Jan
Team 2 Betty
Team 1 Adam
Team 3 Drew
Team 2 Tom
Team 3 Betty
Team 3 Adam
Team 3 John
Team 2 David
Team 1 Ann
Team 2 Bob
Team 1 Steven
Team 3 Joan
Team 2 Bill
Team 1 Jean

eduramiba
Gephi Code Manager
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1275: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: Need help starting out

Post by eduramiba » 20 Oct 2011 12:13

I am not sure if this should be visualized as a network.
But if you do, you would normally represent relations between teams/people.

So you can:
Create a node for each player
Create a link between each player that shares one or more teams with other player.

Eduardo