Numerous GEXF import issues

Get help with your data
Post Reply [phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1275: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
ryanmohr
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1275: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Numerous GEXF import issues

Post by ryanmohr » 11 May 2011 21:07

I have a short gexf file that manages to throw out a number of errors. Both the graph and the attributes are dynamic.

Here's a summary of the errors:
* Gephi states that GEXF version is 1.1 even though 1.2 is specified
* Time interval for nodes and edges cannot be parsed even though in proper date format of YYYY-MM-DD
* Dynamic values considered out of bounds even though they are within the declared interval

Maybe I'm doing something stupid but I've looked the file over a couple times and read through the GEXF primer. Everything looks to be in proper order to me.
gephi_import_test.gexf
(1.15KiB)Downloaded 137 times
issues.png
report.png

ryanmohr
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1275: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: Numerous GEXF import issues

Post by ryanmohr » 11 May 2011 21:14

BTW - I'm using the latest 0.8 release

ryanmohr

Post by ryanmohr » 11 May 2011 21:27

Solved the attributes issue. I was just missing the mode=dynamic in the attributes declaration tags.

Still working on the others...

Here's the updated file:
gephi_import_test.gexf
(1.24KiB)Downloaded 167 times

ryanmohr

Post by ryanmohr » 11 May 2011 21:45

Weird... I have a fairly large gexf file with a couple hundred nodes and a few dozen attributes, and when I add the mode=dynamic bit (on the attributes tag) Gephi can no longer read it. It looks like it starts trying to parse it but then just stops -- no import report pop-up window or anything. Not even any errors. The graph loads fine when I set the mode to static.

Additionally, after the import fails all successive import attempts fail silently as well. I have to restart Gephi before things start working again.

Is there an additional gephi log file I can go to to try to get a better understanding of where it's failing?

The data is somewhat sensitive so I'm unfortunately able to post it on the forum for others to confirm.

admin
Gephi Community Manager

Post by admin » 11 May 2011 22:55

Hi,

GEXF 1.2 parser is used but the notification message is incorrect. The out of bound warning is a useless indication from Gephi: as your graph has an upper bound and you don't repeat this bound for the nodes and the edge, the importer warns that they will take this upper bound as their own life time limit. We should not raise a message in this case.

I filed a bug on Launchpad.

ryanmohr

Post by ryanmohr » 12 May 2011 00:53

Thanks! Removing the upper bound got rid of the rest of the date warnings.

Any pointers for debugging the failed imports? I'm not getting a single error message to work off of.

admin
Gephi Community Manager

Post by admin » 12 May 2011 08:40

Try to split your dataset until you don't have the issue, so that we can locate them problem either in the file or in the parser.

ryanmohr

Post by ryanmohr » 12 May 2011 19:11

I'll give that a shot. Gephi doesn't have an error console or a log file I could look at first though?

admin
Gephi Community Manager

Post by admin » 13 May 2011 07:54

There is a log file. Have a look at this page to know were it is.