Gephi as a tool for a social network on the web

Graphs inside the browser
Post Reply [phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1275: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
simone
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1275: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Gephi as a tool for a social network on the web

Post by simone » 22 Feb 2011 16:29

Dear All,

I am pretty much ignorant about Gephi. I have discovered Gephi recently and I think that it is a brilliant tool. I am interested in the possibility of using Gephi as a visualization tool for a social network on the web. Here I mean that a user can visualize locally in her browser her neighborhood, shortest paths given certain constraints/targets, etc. I have some questions and I would greatly appreciate your kind answer:

1) Am I in the right place? In other words, is Gephi a good tool for my purpose?

2) If the answer to the question above is "yes", what kind of advice do you have? For example, how should I structure the database?

3) Are there examples out there in a similar fashion?

I thank you for your time!

admin
Gephi Community Manager
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1275: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: Gephi as a tool for a social network on the web

Post by admin » 22 Feb 2011 19:36

Hi,

Unfortunately Gephi can't go on the web. We started a work on such specification here, as the most important issue is to find the right technology to scale to large network visualization.

sherbet

Post by sherbet » 19 Apr 2012 01:45

I am very thankful for your effort in web edition of Gephi.Actually i found gephi very late, but it is really interisting and my end goal is also to develop a web tool for social network.

Thisislike

Post by Thisislike » 06 Jun 2012 20:40

Hi,

You actually could use Gephi to do what you need. First, you'd need to write a script that extracts the social network data you need from Facebook or allow the user to enter their own info. This data could then be saved as .gexf file, which you could then send to Gephi Toolkit in order to calculate various metrics, detect community structure etc. (you could also write your own code following the same algorithms). Finally, you could visualize the resulting .gexf file with all the parameters using Alexis Jacomy's sigma.js tool. Believe it or not there's no so much programming skills required to do this sort of stuff. Just download everything and follow the examples given with the software to understand how you could adjust it for your own needs.