[SOLVED] Using Gephi from webapp?

Graphs inside the browser
Post Reply [phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1275: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
plingplong
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1275: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[SOLVED] Using Gephi from webapp?

Post by plingplong » 02 Jun 2010 14:44

Hi,

Sorry if I am being an ignorant fool, but is it possible to use Gephi from a (Java) webapp? Can't seem to find anything about it in the docs, but maybe I'm just blind? What I would like to do is generate a gexf file, pass it to Gephi and get (preferably) an svg back.

Alexis Jacomy
Gephi Plugin Developer

Re: Using Gephi from webapp?

Post by Alexis Jacomy » 02 Jun 2010 15:17

Hi,

First, you can export directly your graph from Gephi as an SVG file (the "Preview" tab, and the "Export SVG/PDF" button).

But as it is for the Web, there are also two Flash web widgets to display interactively your GEXF-encoded graphs:

- GexfExplorer is only about displaying your spatialized graphs. Here is a demonstration page, and a quick explanation to use it is available on the GitHub page of the project.

- GexfWalker, more recent, is a mix between the global view of your spatialized graph and the local exploration of your network, with the (eventual) attributes of your nodes.Here is a demonstration page, and the README file to install it is available on the GitHub page of the project.

These two tools are free, open source, and especially, they have been made for the Gephi/GEXF users community, so you can use them as much as you want :)

Alexis.

plingplong
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1275: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Post by plingplong » 02 Jun 2010 16:02

They seem nice, unfortunately they won't be of much use to me. I guess I should have been a bit more clear about my intended purpose: to be able to generate an svg from an (existing) webapp and include it in a pdf that the webapp produces.

But thanks anyway for the quick reply. :-)

aurelienb
Gephi Beta Tester

Post by aurelienb » 02 Jun 2010 16:27

I think this is not currently possible but I think you will be able to create a web service (for example) with the futur toolkit (http://forum.gephi.org/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=230).

mbastian
Gephi Architect

Post by mbastian » 04 Jun 2010 16:23

Yes the toolkit project is done for allowing things like this: reusing Gephi features in other applications.

It is still in development, but we are close from a first release... Looking for help as well also, would go faster!

Follow the RSS Feed or the Twitter account to stay tuned about the toolkit ;)

ajegga

Post by ajegga » 05 Jun 2010 00:54

Thanks Alexis! The GexfWalker was a huge help!!! One question though: The labels seem to be always proportional to the node size even if in Gephi I changed that option and saved the gexf file. As a result the labels are all overwritten. Is there a way I can either selectively disable this option or force it follow whatever were my settings for label display in gephi?

Anil

Alexis Jacomy
Gephi Plugin Developer

Post by Alexis Jacomy » 05 Jun 2010 02:13

(Hi Anil! As the forum admin gave me a specific place to discuss about GexfWalker, I answered to you here, to not flood the topic. See you there!)