[SOLVED] Sigma.js exporter - JSON not supporting unicode?

Graphs inside the browser
Post Reply [phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1275: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
skyler7
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1275: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[SOLVED] Sigma.js exporter - JSON not supporting unicode?

Post by skyler7 » 31 Jul 2013 09:31

Hi,

Started using gephi for SN graphing a while ago and it has been great so far, but have finally stumbled on a problem I can't solve on my own it seems.

I have a question about exporting Unicode (Japanese) characters with the sigma.js exporter plugin in gephi.
I've been trying to export a graph (about 300 nodes, 6000 edges) with Unicode labels and the graph didn't show up in the generated site.

So I tried generating a small graph with Unicode characters and found out that during export the node labels in the JSON data turn to garbage. The small graph displays alright, but the labels do not. Also not sure what the exact reason could be for the big graph not displaying, but when I replace all the labels with Latin letters, that one displays alright too.

As I don't have much experience with Java and 0 with Javascript, can someone point me how to fix this? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks for providing the great gephi and sigma.js tools, have really made my work much easier :)
Last edited by skyler7 on 13 Aug 2013 09:52, edited 1 time in total.

computermacgyver
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1275: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: Sigma.js exporter - JSON not supporting unicode?

Post by computermacgyver » 04 Aug 2013 21:55

Hi skyler7,

The sigma.js plugin uses the system default encoding. On my system (linux) this was unicode, but I later learned that Mac/Windows have other defaults still. There is a beta version of the plugin referenced in this comment:
https://github.com/oxfordinternetinstit ... t-15705989
If you download the version from that comment and install it, it should fix the issue. If it doesn't please let me know if it works (especially if it doesn't fix the issue so I can keep working on it). I've been very busy with a different project but should be releasing a new version of the exporter soon, which will include this fix.

ごめんね。スコットより

skyler7

Re: Sigma.js exporter - JSON not supporting unicode?

Post by skyler7 » 06 Aug 2013 04:06

Hi computermacgyver,

thanks a lot :) That fixed it perfectly (yeah, forgot to mention I was on Windows)!
Also nice to know the github issues forum, thanks for taking the time to post on this one too :)

ありがとう、スコットさん!本当に助かった。

computermacgyver

Re: [SOLVED] Sigma.js exporter - JSON not supporting unicode

Post by computermacgyver » 15 Aug 2013 03:16

よかった。I'm glad it worked and was a help to you. いつか日本語翻訳作りたい。

For anyone reading this later. I've included the fix in v1.2 (August 2013) of the plugin in the marketplace[1]. So, first make sure you have the latest version and if you are still having a problem, please do report it on github.

Best wishes,
Scott

[1]https://marketplace.gephi.org/plugin/sigmajs-exporter/