[SOLVED] Garfield´s Historiographs

Algorithms and parameters to put data in space
Post Reply [phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1275: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
trmurakami
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1275: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[SOLVED] Garfield´s Historiographs

Post by trmurakami » 14 Jan 2011 10:10

I using Gephi to represent bibliographic citation networks. One of most important feature of Gephi is Dynamics and the possibilities to create a historiographs.

It´s possible create a layout that use time to organize nodes, as a described in figure 4 of this article: Historiographs, Librarianship and the History of Science? ( available at http://www.garfield.library.upenn.edu/e ... 974-76.pdf )

Other example: http://www.iva.dk/bh/core%20concepts%20 ... etwork.htm

Thanks

seinecle
Gephi Community Support

Re: Garfield´s Historiographs

Post by seinecle » 18 Jan 2011 14:59

Hi,

This is a nice suggestion for a layout.

It is not implemented yet, but creating layout plug-ins for Gephi is fairly easy (as I was told!), so if you can find a java developer around you it could be done in a matter of days I presume.

Until then, here is a work around using the "Geo layout", which draws nodes according to two attributes: latitude and longitude.

- In your bibliopgraphic data, you set up a rule to convert your dates into latitudes. Say: 1960 = "50" degrees of latitude, 1959 = "55" degrees of latitude, etc.
This number for latitude you put as an attribute to your node.

Latitudes indicate the position on the north / south axis, so your nodes will be ordered chronologically on a vertical axis!

- You can find another rule to set up the longitude of your nodes: fixed (each node must be 5 degrees apart from each other), or else! Just like for latitude, your number for longitude becomes an attribute of your node.

Then, you import you file and run the geo layout algorithm. It should spread the nodes just as the examples you've shown.

I hope it helps,

Best,

Clement

trmurakami
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1275: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Post by trmurakami » 18 Jan 2011 15:41

I will try!

Thanks a lot!

elijah
Gephi Community Support

Post by elijah » 02 Feb 2011 00:46

I've been fiddling around with using time in layouts in this manner. Dynamic graphs are wonderful presentational tools when you have Gephi installed on the presentation machine, but the time-enabled elements get lost in static representations that are passed around to folks that probably aren't going to fire up Gephi to look at them.