Force Atlas "attraction strength" parameter PER edge?

Algorithms and parameters to put data in space
Post Reply [phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1275: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
corrado33
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1275: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Force Atlas "attraction strength" parameter PER edge?

Post by corrado33 » 19 Dec 2017 21:50

Hi,

I'm attempting to create a graph of connected nodes that represent music tags/genres.

The force atlas style sorta does what I want, except I want to be able to change the value of "attraction" strength for each "edge." (Aka each line between the dots.)

I already have the values in the data tabs. I've even normalized them. Right now it's just represented by the "weight" which I'm assuming means the weight of the line between the dots. But I'd like that parameter to represent the strength of the attraction between those dots. Is that possible? Or does that already happen and I'm just an idiot?

Also, I'd like to change the size of the dots (for each dot specifically) based on another parameter. Is that possible?

Thanks!

EDIT: I'm an idiot, this is already how it works.

I just needed to increase my parameter.

But then what is the "attraction strength" parameter for?

eduramiba
Gephi Code Manager
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1275: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: Force Atlas "attraction strength" parameter PER edge?

Post by eduramiba » 20 Dec 2017 10:59

Attraction strength is a constant to control the overall attraction value I think.

For nodes sizes, use Appearance - Ranking (by size) and choose your numeric attribute.

corrado33

Re: Force Atlas "attraction strength" parameter PER edge?

Post by corrado33 » 20 Dec 2017 18:47

Thanks! Yeah I figured as much out.

Last question.

Can I change the relative size of the edges (not length, I want the width) without changing the attraction parameter in the data?

I can make the edges wider by multiplying my attraction parameters in the data by 10 or so, but then I have to mess with settings to make the force directed graph work again (or else it'll be too compressed cause you just made the springs 10x stronger.)

I don't see a setting for that unfortunately.

EDIT: Found it. It's the slider bar at the bottom of the window.