[SOLVED] Geographical Maps in Gephi

Algorithms and parameters to put data in space
Post Reply [phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1275: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1275: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[SOLVED] Geographical Maps in Gephi

Post by newbie » 30 Sep 2010 03:24

Hi..

I am new to Gephi and just learning to use the features supported by Gephi.

I wanted to know if there is any way to represent states in Gephi.

To put it in a clear way..Say I have a sample data linking different states in US.

I would like to know if there is a way to represent the states in their actual locations as per the US map.

Please let me know if you need any further info.

admin
Gephi Community Manager
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1275: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: Representation of Maps in Gephi

Post by admin » 30 Sep 2010 08:26

Hi,

you can set the latitude and longitude attributes in nodes, and apply a geographic layout available with the GeoLayout plugin.

Is it what you need?

Post by newbie » 30 Sep 2010 13:16

Yeah thank you.
I was searching for that in the forum and came across geolayout pluggin.
I have got the latitude and longitude positions and now will have to check out for node def attributes in order to use them.
Thanks again.

Post by newbie » 30 Sep 2010 19:22

Hi,
I have created a GDF file with the nodedef having the name,Label,Latitude and Longitude attributes and used the Geolayout plugin to get the positions.
I read in a similar post about geolayout about adding the US map using illustrator option.
I am not clear on how to do it..Does that mean I need to import the map in Adobe illustrator and import in Gephi.
In that case what has to be done with the nodedef's in GDF file.
Please let me know if I need to provide more info on this.

admin
Gephi Community Manager

Post by admin » 01 Oct 2010 18:09

Hi,

1. import the GDF in Gephi
2. apply geolayout
3. tune visual parameters in Preview
4. export in SVG
5. import SVG in Adobe Illustrator.

HTH

Post by newbie » 01 Oct 2010 18:36

Hi..

I followed the steps as mentioned by you.

I saved the GDF file with the nodedefs Name,Label,Latitude DOUBLE,Longitude DOUBLE
and also the edgedefs node1,node2,weight DOUBLE.
I opened the GDF file in Gephi and got the graphy and ran the GeoLayout Algorithm with Projection as Mercator.
I exported the preview as SVG file and imported the same in Inkscape(which I believe is similar to Illustrator).

I would like the set the background image as US MAP for the gephi graph,like the one shown in the link http://forum.gephi.org/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=224 (Forum,Plugins,presets and filters,GeoLayout).Is that possible to do it that way?

Please let me know if I need to provide any other info.

admin
Gephi Community Manager

Post by admin » 01 Oct 2010 20:13

Yes exactly, you're almost done!

Now you have to find such US MAP (we don't provide it) and use it in Inkscape.

cheers

Post by newbie » 19 Oct 2010 01:41

Thanks it worked.

spread_gephi

Re: [SOLVED] Geographical Maps in Gephi

Post by spread_gephi » 19 Oct 2013 06:16

newbie,

Can you share in detail how you came about successfully displaying your data and geologically linking it to a map? I'm completely new to this and would love to be able to do this with a state map. Would you be able to share your end result with the rest of us here?