Geolayout and maps of countries

Algorithms and parameters to put data in space
Post Reply [phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1275: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
ennkkay
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1275: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Geolayout and maps of countries

Post by ennkkay » 11 Dec 2014 19:36

Hi

I am trying to use GeoLayout and Maps of countries layouts together. I have downloaded airlines-sample.gexf and updated the latitude and longitude attributes names to lat and lng as documented in https://marketplace.gephi.org/plugin/maps-of-countries/. Here are the steps I tried:

Try1
1) Open the .gexf file.
2) Apply the maps of countries layout - dont see the map
3) Apply geo layout - that does change the layout but still no map

Try2
1) Apply the maps of countries layout - this time I see the map
2) Open the .gexf file - and the map disappears

I read some other posts on these two layout, and based on those it seemed like people were imported csv data when using these layouts. Is it necessary to use csv imports to make them work together? If not, what's the right way to use these layouts together? Thanks.

peterbrecke
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1275: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: Geolayout and maps of countries

Post by peterbrecke » 08 Jan 2015 22:24

I have struggled to figure out how to use these two plugins together and believe I now know how to be consistently successful in connecting a network to a world map. I am sharing what I learned to make it easier for others who want to do similar things with Gephi (0.8.2 beta).

My problem is that I want to make an animation of the world dyadic trade network as it evolved from 1790 to 1919. Not knowing how to do time dynamics with csv files made using Excel, I am taking a screenshot of each year of data and putting it into an animated gif file.

I found that careful (dare I say fanatical) adherence to a particular structure for the nodes and edges files and a particular sequence of steps in Gephi seems to work. This is what I do.

1. Create a New Project.
2. Go to Data Laboratory and select Import Spreadsheet.
3. Select Nodes table and then use the file browser to select the desired nodes file.

My nodes file has the following structure in terms of columns and column labels:
Id Label lat lng

Id is a number identifying (in my case) a country, Label is text of the country name, and lat and lng are the latitude and longitude in decimal format (e.g. 32.34, -95.14) (of in my case the geographic center of the country). My file has several rows in this format.

4. In the Import settings window, make sure lat and lng are set to be data type Double. Finish.
5. Select Import Spreadsheet again, select Edges table, and then select the desired edges file.
6. My edges files (one for each year) have the following structure:
Source Target Type Weight Year Source Name Target Name

The first four columns and column labels are essential, the last three are for human comprehension of what the data are about.

Source and Target are the appropriate numbers in the Id column of the nodes file, Type is (in my case) the text string directed, Weight is a numerical value attached to the edge (in my case the US $ value of the directed trade flow). Each edges file has a number of rows in this format.

My Import settings do not need to be changed. Finish.

7. Select Overview and select ---Choose a layout.
8. Select Map of Countries and select the desired Projection. Click on Run.
9. Select Geo layout under Layout, select lng for Longitude, and make sure the Projection matches the projection chosen for Map of Countries. Click on Run.

I get my nodes properly geo-located and the correct edges connecting the nodes. I adjust the map by using my scroll wheel to change the map size and pressing the right mouse button and panning to move the map around. I adjust the edge thickness slider to make the boundaries more visible. I then take a screenshot of the map and network overlay using my Mac's screenshot command (shift-command-4) as it gives a better image than the built-in Gephi screenshot command.

9. Select Close Project and select Do not save. Then I repeat for the next year.

Yes, this is a pretty anal description, but if it helps someone else avoid a bunch of frustration, writing this will have been worth it.