3D layout where each edge has the same length (or close)

Algorithms and parameters to put data in space
Post Reply [phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1275: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
ccj242
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1275: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
3D layout where each edge has the same length (or close)

Post by ccj242 » 02 Jun 2014 11:23

Thank you for taking the time to read this and for any help you may be able to give in advance -- I'm totally a novice Gephi and am in awe at the program and the community around it. I have been playing around with force atlas 3d and while I have been able to give each edge the same weight, (my understanding is that each edge pulls a node with an equivalent amount of force such that nodes with more edges are pulled more forcefully than a node with fewer?), I'm seeking a solution where each edge length is the same (or as close to the same) such that each node is equidistant (or as close to it) to the nodes it shares edges with, independent of how many edges it may have. Size/scale or layout is irrelevant so long as the nodes can be organized in such a way where this is possible in 3d. At first, before applying any kind of layout, it almost seems as if gephi does this by default in 2 dimensions on a grid (or perhaps this is different?).

Anyway, thank you for your help and time, I truly appreciate it. All the best.

seinecle
Gephi Community Support

Re: 3D layout where each edge has the same length (or close)

Post by seinecle » 04 Jun 2014 12:01

Hi,
AFAIK this feature does not exist. A plugin would need to be written to deploy it. This said, I guess that the dimensions of a graph make it an impossible thing to draw a network where all edges would be of the same length: respecting this constraint for some edges would break the rule for other edges.

Best,

Clement

ccj242
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1275: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: 3D layout where each edge has the same length (or close)

Post by ccj242 » 09 Jun 2014 21:17

Thank you Clement for your response, - I realize it would be impossible but was hoping there might be a way to do in appreciably close fashion. Might you be able to recommend a layout algorithm that might give me a somewhat, ballpark similar effect? What does the layout in gephi initially default to without applying any layout at all?

Thanks again for the response, I appreciate it.