Create a graph mapping kids sports teams and link to parent

Algorithms and parameters to put data in space
Post Reply [phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1275: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
systemx17
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1275: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Create a graph mapping kids sports teams and link to parent

Post by systemx17 » 17 Feb 2014 09:41

This is a very noob question and I apologise in advance if this is unclear/in the wrong forum/makes me look stupid. This site and the software have very smart people using it, I am not one of those smart people.

I am trying to see Gephi can create a network map for my specific situation. The data is going to be a compilation of sporting teams and members. Each sports team can have hundreds of members. The members in the team can have a parent or guardian in the same or a different sports team.

I want to create a network map with each member inside their team's circle. I also would like to have a line from a member to their parent, but obviously parents don't need to link with their parent. I have made a sample of what I am after:

and have also made a small sample of the data:

Code: Select all

id,firstname,lastname,teamname,guardian
1,Bill,Rogers,The Lions,
2,Jane,Rogers,Sharkies,
3,Mike,Smith,Sharkies,2
4,Peter,Lee,The Lions,1
5,Sally,Garrison,Snails,
6,Tim,Garrison,The Lions,1
7,Beth,Garrison,The Lions,1
8,Kelly,Smith,Bird Brains,
9,Alex,Garrison,The Lions,1
10,Sarah,Lee,Snails,5
11,Ryan,McCormick,Bird Brains,8
12,Tara,Anderson,Sharkies,2
13,Cale,Anderson,Snails,5
14,Larissa,Portman,Snails,5
15,Sean,Lee,Snails,5
16,Patrick,McCormick,Bird Brains,8
17,Jen,Anderson,Sharkies,2
18,Amanda,Marsh,Gators,
19,Jessica,Marsh,Gators,18
20,Paul,Portman,Gators,18
The id's 1,2,5,8 and 18 don't have a value at the end because they are guardians and don't have a guardian. So my question is: Is this possible to create and update from a CSV file in Gephi?

systemx17
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1275: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: Create a graph mapping kids sports teams and link to par

Post by systemx17 » 26 Feb 2014 14:08

From looking around it appears that Gephi isn't quite capable of doing this sort of stuff yet. Hopefully down the track this becomes possible.