Force Atlas and Node Positioning

Algorithms and parameters to put data in space
Post Reply [phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1275: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
wb5666
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1275: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Force Atlas and Node Positioning

Post by wb5666 » 24 Jan 2014 14:58

Hi,

I'm new to Gephi, and am loving the results I am getting with it so far. I have what seems to be a pretty basic problem, however.

Whenever I import my .CSV file and use Force Atlas, the nodes always appear very close/on top of each other together. After rejigging the Repulsion Strength and zoom I can quite happily progress with what I am trying to do.

I was wondering whether there was something I was doing incorrectly and should include in my .CSV prior to importing that would solve this issue? If a link to a tutorial or video that explains it in detail, that would be great; as I said, fairly new to the networking game!

Thanks in advance.

seinecle
Gephi Community Support

Re: Force Atlas and Node Positioning

Post by seinecle » 26 Jan 2014 00:14

Hi,

The first view you get (just after the import of a network in csv) shows nodes in random positions. If you want to define / preserve the x, y, z coordinates of your nodes, so that the next time you open the network the nodes will remain in neatly defined positions, then you should save your network in a gexf format. To do that, open your network in csv in Gephi, then do File -> Export -> Graph File and then choose gexf in the drop down menu for file formats.

Best,

Clement

[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1275: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable