Preventing overlapping directed edges

Algorithms and parameters to put data in space
Post Reply [phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1275: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Simski
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1275: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Preventing overlapping directed edges

Post by Simski » 14 Oct 2013 11:20

Hi,

I have a graph with directed edges. There is an edge from node 2 to node 3 and one from node 3 to node 2. Predictably, these edges overlap. Is there a layout option hidden somewhere that allows me to curve the edges so they don't overlap anymore?

Thanks,
Simski

pegerp
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1275: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: Preventing overlapping directed edges

Post by pegerp » 14 Oct 2013 20:49

Hi simski.

There is an option to enable curved edges when exporting the graph as PNG or other image format in Preview panel. In Overview panel I don't think it's possible to have curved edges. If the both edges are still curved the same way - ie. overlapping - then I don't think there are any workarounds. Maybe move the nodes around and hope that the algorithm computes different curvature or something.

If you are doing this in Java then set the PreviewProperty EDGE_CURVED to true ( http://gephi.org/docs/toolkit/org/gephi ... perty.html ). See the Gephi Toolkit examples for how to use properties.

On an unrelated note in my Gephi 0.8.2 the edge arrows are not rendered on my test network.

Simski

Re: Preventing overlapping directed edges

Post by Simski » 16 Oct 2013 16:56

Hey pegerp,

thank you for your reply! This solved the overlap problem, but I also lost the arrows in the export. There is an option to set the arrow size in the preview settings, but it doesn't seem to do anything. (I've tried exporting as pdf, png and svg - always with the same result).

Does anyone know how to fix this?

Cheers,
Simski