Best layout for tree/hierarchy structures?

Algorithms and parameters to put data in space
Post Reply [phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1275: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Rodger22
Best layout for tree/hierarchy structures?

Post by Rodger22 » 05 Jul 2013 16:59

Dear Experts,

I'm looking to make graphs of tree (or hierarchy) structures.
So they look like a tree.

Which plugin/visualization option would be the best one for this task?
:?:

Or, is such a plugin being developed?

Thanks a lot!

Rodger

seinecle
Gephi Community Support

Re: Best layout for tree/hierarchy structures?

Post by seinecle » 12 Jul 2013 14:56

Would it be what you are looking for?

https://marketplace.gephi.org/plugin/dag-layout/

In general, the Gephi Marketplace is where to find documentation on Gephi's plugins and services.

Best,

Clement

Rodger22

Post by Rodger22 » 31 Jul 2013 21:22

Thanks for responding.

That actually looks pretty close to what I've been thinking of.
Good one!

I'll take it for a test drive.

ryan.c
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1275: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Post by ryan.c » 24 Sep 2013 20:27

Hello,

I am also trying to create a tree / hierarchy structure, from top to bottom. I have about 10k nodes and about 20k-30k edges. The DAG layout looked like what I wanted, but after running the layout for a few hours, it looks like the nodes at the top (first row) especially on the right side are just moving back and forth continuously. After running this for several hours, I stopped it, and noticed that at the top left hand side corder, a ton of nodes were stacked on top of each other.

I am not sure if this is a hardware limitation. I'm running this on i5 CPU + 4GB ram on 64-bit Windows 7. Would anyone be able to help me get around the problems?

(I tried running Noverlap, but it seems like running Noverlap after DAG kind of destroyes the tree structure built by the DAT layout)

Your help is much appreciated!

seinecle
Gephi Community Support

Post by seinecle » 25 Sep 2013 07:48

Surely not hardware related, that must be a default in the implementation of the plugin. Your best bet is to contact the author the plugin. You can find his/her contact info on the page of the plugin in the marketplace.
Best,
Clement

[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1275: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable