Weird location of some nodes with force atlas

Algorithms and parameters to put data in space
Post Reply [phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1275: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
kobeddl
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1275: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Weird location of some nodes with force atlas

Post by kobeddl » 22 May 2013 11:08

Hello,

I'm using force atlas in order to visualize the consumption habits of customers.

Here is the result :

The weight of the edges is proportionnal to the spent amount in the store
The diameter of the node is proportionnal to the sum of the spent amount in the different stores.

The problem I have is (for example) the nodes which are linked to the red and blue one, and their location doesn't seem good to me.

Is it possible to have something more compact like in Yifan Hu, but that takes into consideration the weights of the edges ?

Here is a result with Yifan Hu :

pegerp
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1275: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: Weird location of some nodes with force atlas

Post by pegerp » 22 May 2013 12:44

Hi kobeddl.

Do you have an old version of Gephi? There is a new version of Force Atlas called Force Atlas 2. It includes an option to enable edge weight influence.

You might find the FA2 plugin installable under Tools > Plugins even if you have a little bit older version of Gephi. I'm not sure about that though. If in doubt, install newest version of Gephi :)

kobeddl

Re: Weird location of some nodes with force atlas

Post by kobeddl » 22 May 2013 14:19

No, I have the latest version (0.8.2 beta)

But Force Atlas 2, doesn't resolve the problem, because there is the same behaviour than Force Atlas.
I can't visualize easily with the eyes the nodes which are connect to the same things.

It's more easy to see that with Yifan Hu, but it doesn't take into consideration the weight.

Maybe the solution is to put the node in the same trajectory, like in the Circular Layout, but I don't want the nodes are stick together.
I'd like some space between them in order to take into take into consideration the weight.

ps: do you want to say "unable" instead of enable. Because Force Atlas already take into consideration the weight