Using Edge Weights in Layout

Algorithms and parameters to put data in space
Post Reply [phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1275: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
DataJunkie
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1275: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Using Edge Weights in Layout

Post by DataJunkie » 31 Mar 2013 08:33

I have a column called "jaccard" which is, you guessed it, the Jaccard similarity between the two nodes connected by a particular edge.

In my formulation, higher Jaccard means more similarity (as opposed to Jaccard distance which is the opposite).

I would like to use this column when building the graph, but I am not sure how. Also, how can I tell Gephi that when laying out the graph, higher weight means the nodes should be closer together (rather than the opposite)?

Thanks,
Ryan

admin
Gephi Community Manager
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1275: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: Using Edge Weights in Layout

Post by admin » 31 Mar 2013 12:26

Hi,

By default higher weight means closer nodes for the layouts which take edge weight into account.

You should duplicate your column to the "Weight" column.

DataJunkie

Post by DataJunkie » 31 Mar 2013 19:35

Perfect! That gets me to my next question :-)

How do I copy the contents of the Jaccard column into the Weight column?

I have tried using the GUI but:
- the current Weight column is for some reason, all 1s.
- I cannot delete the Weight column.
- I cannot duplicate the Jaccard column and rename it to Weight since I cannot delete the existing Weight column.
- I cannot use the "copy column" option in the GUI because it does not let me choose a source column (it is always set to Weight)

Any advice?

Thanks again,
Ryan

admin
Gephi Community Manager

Post by admin » 31 Mar 2013 20:32

Huh, can you do it on Excel?

DataJunkie

Post by DataJunkie » 31 Mar 2013 21:03

I think that's my only option :(.

When I get some time, I'd like to work on making the Data Laboratory GUI more useful. Of course, I have to prove myself to become a patcher or committer first ;-)

eduramiba
Gephi Code Manager

Post by eduramiba » 02 Apr 2013 18:42

Hi,
You can use the "Copy data to other column" feature to fill Weight column with your other column's data.

Eduardo