Multiple nodes for one website?

Algorithms and parameters to put data in space
Post Reply [phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1275: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
wilchivs
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1275: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Multiple nodes for one website?

Post by wilchivs » 14 Mar 2013 12:23

Hi

I am new to using Gephi but I am starting to get to grips with its capabilities. I am using it at present for some research. I have imported a network file from the results of an Issue Crawler search. I have laid the network out in Gephi using the OpenOrd layout and I am interested to see the Betweenness and Eigenvector Centrality of the nodes (which are websites).

I have noticed however that a few of the nodes, and in particular the two that are ranked highest for Eigenvector Centrality) appear twice in the network. For each one, one of the nodes has primarily inlinks and the other primarily outlinks. I wondered if anyone could explain what might be happening please?

When I visualise the network using Issue Crawler's own system, the nodes do not appear more than once.

Many thanks,

Wil

wilchivs
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1275: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: Multiple nodes for one website?

Post by wilchivs » 22 Mar 2013 10:53

Hi all,

I am still having difficulty with this issue. I have attached the .gexf file that I am currently using below if anyone is able to help?

As I say, I am new to using Gephi and so am learning slowly. I have looked in the Data Laboratory and there are number of nodes that appear twice. One will have the root of the website (e.g. gilc.org) and the other will have all of the pages retrieved by the crawl. I have tried merging nodes and grouping nodes but neither seems to have the right effect. I am also confused that the checkbox for 'in network' is not checked for many of the duplicate nodes yet they still appear in the network?

Perhaps this is simply an issue with the source data? It does note on Issue Crawler's website that the export to Gephi is 'experimental'.

Thanks again,

Wil
Attachments
ic_network_330040.gexf
(1.12MiB)Downloaded 132 times