Weighting: Line Thickness and/or Node Proximity??

Algorithms and parameters to put data in space
Post Reply [phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1275: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
CambridgeResearch
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1275: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Weighting: Line Thickness and/or Node Proximity??

Post by CambridgeResearch » 20 Feb 2012 07:47

Hi,

I have a weighted two-mode network, and like that the lines are, well, weighted, to reflect the overlap between groups. However, it surprises me that two groups with high overlap are not located closer. The network layouts often have two-highly correlated nodes on opposite sides, which seems counter-intuitive. I am not doing anything special, i.e. just loading the data, and seeing the resultant layout. Is there a particular command/setting that could help out towards re-arranging the nodes locations based on the magnitude of the weights?

Thanks!
John

admin
Gephi Community Manager
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1275: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: Weighting: Line Thickness and/or Node Proximity??

Post by admin » 20 Feb 2012 11:53

Hi, what is the layout you used? Some of them do not take edge weight into account.

CambridgeResearch

Post by CambridgeResearch » 21 Feb 2012 10:40

I don't know exactly as to what the default layout is after importing data. I have tried various layouts, and I do get the thicker lines.

admin
Gephi Community Manager

Post by admin » 21 Feb 2012 11:42

Nodes are placed randomly just after an import. You need to apply a layout as explained in the tutorial Quick Start.