[SOLVED] what's the best layout for this?

Algorithms and parameters to put data in space
Post Reply [phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1275: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
equinox
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1275: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[SOLVED] what's the best layout for this?

Post by equinox » 25 Apr 2011 23:43

I have a graph which has 2000 nodes and 16000 edges. What is the best layout to use for this?
I want to visualize the time visualization. My graph represents a community where nodes are users... so I want to show how
the community evolve over time, using the time visualization.. I have the time visualization done, but it seems that because
the graph is so cluttered it's hard to see. Suggestions are appreciated

benoit
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1275: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: what's the best layout for this?

Post by benoit » 26 Apr 2011 09:34

ForceAtlas is an adequate layout. I have use this for 40 000 nodes and 60 000edges. After you can look the different community with Modularity.
And ajust the node size and node text.

seinecle
Gephi Community Support

Post by seinecle » 26 Apr 2011 09:50

Hey,

Benoit, you must have a very powerful machine (or spent a whole night of processing) to get Force Atlas to work on 2000 nodes and 16,000 edges! Or am I missing somehting?

I think that's ok if you want to have one static view of your network, but is much too slow if you want the layout to run during a dynamic view (as equinox suggested I think).

For a dynamic view, I see no good solution for a network of this size. Maybe try the alternative version of Force Atlas (http://forum.gephi.org/viewtopic.php?f= ... t=10#p3029), which is more efficient, but that won't make a big difference I'd bet.

So, why not filter your graph to keep only the most active users, restricting your graph to 200 nodes? Or another criterion of filtering which would make sense in your context of use?

Best,

Clement

benoit

Post by benoit » 26 Apr 2011 10:16

Initially I conducted a comprehensive mapping. For 1million of data force atlas run in 6hours, one night in fact.
I used this for a nightclub network because I have a site of party organization.
In a second time I analyzed the leader. You can ajust them with Degree range filter, you get only the most important person. In my case I find all the leaders of student associations.

The algorithm with the restriction that only took 8 minutes and I have found the leaders of a given community.

PS : sorry for my English

equinox

Post by equinox » 26 Apr 2011 23:55

I've tried to use force atlas for one of my filtered data and here's what I get http://www.screenr.com/6Gi. Why?

benoit

Post by benoit » 27 Apr 2011 08:32

Are you sure it is force atlas. It's looks like Phylogeny 3D.

have you changed the repulsion strength ?

In Part Partition -> Nodes your categories are not group?

If you click on the biggest circle and Ungroup what happens?

admin
Gephi Community Manager

Post by admin » 27 Apr 2011 08:34

Try to increase the repulsion strength.