Dynamic Graphs without Time

Evolution and dynamics on networks in Gephi: UI, data formats, algorithms...
Post Reply [phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1275: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
elijah
Gephi Community Support
Dynamic Graphs without Time

Post by elijah » 26 Feb 2011 19:35

The Merge Column function is currently kaput, and so I'm fiddling around with my time-enabled graph using Unix timestamps and the Range filter. I'm wondering, why can't we use the dynamic slider with any value? Wouldn't it be nice to be able to look at most any value dynamically and not just time? Or am I missing something here?

admin
Gephi Community Manager
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1275: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: Dynamic Graphs without Time

Post by admin » 27 Feb 2011 21:51

I think it would be confusing for most users :)

elijah
Gephi Community Support

Post by elijah » 27 Feb 2011 23:56

You could implement it with a secret button that looks like a radioactive or biohazard symbol! Actually, with the upcoming fixes to the Filtering code, I'm sure I'll be able to get most of this without having to using the slider.

It's strange, isn't it, that dynamic only refers to time? What I mean is, aren't there all sorts of other dimensions to look at "dynamically" like space or ontology? I'm mostly interested in understanding the history of the term as it has developed in the network analysis community, not arguing for confusing features that only I'll use ( :ugeek: Of course, if you want to make a personal version of Gephi for me some time, I'd send you a nice card... :ugeek: ).

admin
Gephi Community Manager
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1275: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Post by admin » 28 Feb 2011 15:57

You have the freedom to fork :ugeek:

I'd prefer to have a mesh of pony as an easter egg when I present Gephi somewhere :ugeek:

elijah
Gephi Community Support

Post by elijah » 02 Mar 2011 00:45

Lack of network ponies is exactly the reason why Gephi is such an unmitigated failure.