[FIXED] Resize for a dynamic attribute

Evolution and dynamics on networks in Gephi: UI, data formats, algorithms...
seinecle
Gephi Community Support
Re: Resize for a dynamic attribute

Post by seinecle » 15 Sep 2011 16:43

Ok...

I think I get it now:

- no dynamic viz attributes in the gexf file.
- that's because you don't need them: GEPHI takes a dynamic attribute in the gexf file and allows the user to visualize it.

[EDIT: yeah, but then it would be cool to be able to store the parameters one used for the visualization of this dynamic attribute, to be able to reproduce it later. Should it be the role of the Gephi file?]

Anyway, I can wait a few weeks, play with the new release and understand all that better!

Best,

Clement

jodi.basner
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1275: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: [FIXED] Resize for a dynamic attribute

Post by jodi.basner » 30 Nov 2011 17:30

I would like to better understand and implement the following:

"Dynamic visual attributes will be supported in the form of an evolution of the Ranking module, with an "auto-apply" option. That will allow to change color and size continuously when the graph is changing. So instead of defining a dynamic size parameter for node, you'll define a standard dynamic attribute attached to the node and use Ranking to code it as a size in real-time."

I have installed 0.8 beta but I do not have an "Auto-Apply" button, I have an Apply button...consequences on functionality...?

Can you provide a simple example gexf file with 2 nodes and an edge weight varying over time plus the steps of using the Ranking feature to display this variation with the Timeline?

Thank-you for your help.

admin
Gephi Community Manager
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1275: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Post by admin » 30 Nov 2011 17:54

Hi,

You can use these data: http://www.sociopatterns.org/datasets/p ... -networks/
Or generate a dynamic random graph (File > Generate > Dynamic Graph Example)

In Ranking, select Degree of Nodes as a parameter and Color as the mapping target.
Enable the auto-transformation button just on the left of the Auto-apply button, then activate the Auto-apply button itself.

Now you can use the timeline to filter the dynamic graph over the time period you want. The color is updated in real-time.

L.J.

Post by L.J. » 07 May 2012 22:13

Wow, although this post is quite old I'm quite happy to have found it. The dynamic viz attributes is something very very useful.

However I have the same feeling that Clement posted. No dynamic attributes in the gexf file? (Can anybody confirm this?). The problem is that sometimes (many many times, especially in dynamic systems) the size and color attributes are used to represent other things, other information that cannot be extracted by any metric. For example that "metadata" or that "state variable" could be the incidence of a disease in a city, the number of people that visit an airport, the age of a person in a twitter network, or the participation coefficient of a node in a modularity algorithm different from the one implemented in gephi... whatever.

Therefore, is it possible to introduce the value of a dynamic attribute in the gexf file? Using spell maybe? Is there any other solution to represent the above-mentioned information in a dynamic graph using gephi???

This, along with Elijah HD videos, would be the definitive tool for visualizing dynamic processes in networks.

Best regards,
LJ.

admin
Gephi Community Manager

Post by admin » 07 May 2012 22:26

The GEXF suppports dynamic attributes. See the Primer, section 5.3.

L.J.

Post by L.J. » 07 May 2012 22:33

Ups, sorry, I didn't know that there were a new version of the gexf primer... VERY NICE!