"Degree" is only attribute that will change size with auto-apply

Evolution and dynamics on networks in Gephi: UI, data formats, algorithms...
Post Reply [phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1275: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
schignell
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1275: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
"Degree" is only attribute that will change size with auto-apply

Post by schignell » 25 Mar 2018 01:49

I am trying to visualize changes in different attributes through time, and am using the "Auto-apply" feature. This works great with "degree": the nodes change size as I move the time slider as would be expected.

However, this does not work with any of the other attributes (e.g., betweenness centrality), they simply remain the same size throughout the whole time period.

I have recorded a video of this behavior and attached it. First I show how betweenness centrality does not change, then I change it to degree and show it changing.

I have also tested this with the dynamic graph example and get the same behavior: only degree response to the auto apply button.

Thanks!
Attachments
VideoCapture.mp4
(858.07KiB)Downloaded 603 times

eduramiba
Gephi Code Manager
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1275: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: "Degree" is only attribute that will change size with auto-apply

Post by eduramiba » 25 Mar 2018 12:02

Hi,
You need to use a dynanic attribute (a value that varies over time), but these statistics only compute a static value.
See https://github.com/gephi/gephi/wiki/Import-Dynamic-Data

schignell

Re: "Degree" is only attribute that will change size with auto-apply

Post by schignell » 28 Mar 2018 02:05

Thanks eduramiba, but I'm not sure I quite understand.

I am using Clement Levallois' excel importer plugin to create a coauthorship network using a database of publications (see attached Excel file for example of the data structure).

I am creating links between authors (field="Creator.Other") and am using the "Date.Season" to provide dynamic information (i.e., year each paper was published).

This successfully creates a dynamic network with an "Interval" field (see attached screenshot).

However, when trying to convert any of the static metrics to dynamic in the Data Lab, I don't get good results (no matter which metric I try). The only metric that appears to be dynamic is Degree, although I can't figure out why...

Is it possible to create dynamic attributes if I am using the excel importer plugin?

Thanks again for your help!
Attachments
Data_lab_screenshot.PNG
Data_example.xlsx
(10.62KiB)Downloaded 564 times