Is there any way to make newly added nodes and edges shine?

Evolution and dynamics on networks in Gephi: UI, data formats, algorithms...
Post Reply [phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1275: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
cpthk
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1275: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Is there any way to make newly added nodes and edges shine?

Post by cpthk » 03 Sep 2010 22:16

I am trying to make newly added nodes and edges shine or have any kind of animation or color to indicate they are newly added. That way, it could hint the user to let the user know. And several seconds later, will turn back to normal or default color. Is there any build-in function to do that or similar to that? If not, could anyone give some hints where can I implement myself?

Thanks.

mbastian
Gephi Architect
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1275: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: Is there any way to make newly added nodes and edges shi

Post by mbastian » 08 Sep 2010 08:23

No there no function to do that. Doing that would require several things:
- Hack into the visualization engine (into VisualizationModule) and probably add a new boolean variable for each object
- Set this flag when data are added. That is in the DHNSDataBridge class
- Maintain a timer (by time or number of frame displayed), probably in AbstractEngine class
- Modify the OpenGL code of Node, Edges and Arrows

cpthk

Post by cpthk » 09 Sep 2010 01:01

I would really recommend this function to be added later. Gephi is introducing the streaming API, so nodes and edges are being added dynamically. So it would be way better to see some kinds of animation or color when new nodes or edges are added when we have thousands of nodes. That way it's a lot easier to see where the new nodes are.

admin
Gephi Community Manager

Post by admin » 11 Nov 2010 12:06

Yes your video outlines the need for a solution: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cw4rK0MflvQ

elijah
Gephi Community Support

Post by elijah » 23 Nov 2010 21:59

Isn't this just labeling the edges according to a particular edge attribute and giving functionality to dynamically assign that attribute based on an arbitrary value which, in many cases, would be a timestamp? I think the idea of hard-wiring it to an expected "new" value is a little too restrictive.