Filters in dynamic graphs

Evolution and dynamics on networks in Gephi: UI, data formats, algorithms...
Post Reply [phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1275: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
solipsy
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1275: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Filters in dynamic graphs

Post by solipsy » 16 Mar 2013 14:41

Hi all,

I've been using Gephi for a time now, and thanks to developers for a fantastic program.

My latest project has to do with analyzing publicly available data about government payments to private companies. There are millions of transactions in a ten year period, so I have a graph with moderate amount of nodes and edges, but there are a lot of spells associated with them, since each transaction occurred at a time, and I make it end at a time depending on the sum.

I have no problems with exporting all this data to GEXF and showing it in Gephi as a dynamic graph, it's nicely animated as it shows private firms move from one ministry to another under different governments. But I'd like to filter the graph dynamically, so that only nodes over a certain threshold degree would show.
I applied a Edge filter, which works fine in static graphs, but it seems that it gets overridden in a dynamic graph on every step in the timeline by a "dynamic graph filter".

Is there a way to maintain the edge filter as a dominant one? And if not, is this feasible with Gephi toolkit?

Thanks!

admin
Gephi Community Manager
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1275: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: Filters in dynamic graphs

Post by admin » 16 Mar 2013 16:19

Hi,

It's not feasible in Gephi, I don't know for the Gephi Toolkit. Maybe a simple approach would be to generate a GEXF file of the subgraph prior to importing it in Gephi.

solipsy

Re: Filters in dynamic graphs

Post by solipsy » 17 Mar 2013 17:48

admin wrote:Hi,
Maybe a simple approach would be to generate a GEXF file of the subgraph prior to importing it in Gephi.
I thought about that, but the problem is that the number of edges associated with each node changes dynamically, depending on whether an edge is active or not according to the spell data. Actually, the edges are always present, they are just switched on and off at different times.

Maybe the only solution is to recreate the whole project in Toolkit, script the animation process and filter the graph just prior to exporting a single animation frame. Has anyone any experience with that? It'd be good to know, before I embark on massive coding.

/edit

To clarify, an edge looks like that in GEXF:

<edge id="21908" source="1332" target="1484" type="undirected" weight="34.0">
<spells><spell start="2005-07-01" end="2005-08-01" />
<spell start="2007-06-01" end="2007-07-01" />
<spell start="2004-10-01" end="2004-11-01" />
<spell start="2005-08-01" end="2005-11-01" />
<spell start="2003-12-01" end="2004-03-01" />
<spell start="2004-03-01" end="2004-06-01" />
<spell start="2004-11-01" end="2004-12-01" />
<spell start="2003-09-01" end="2003-10-01" /></spells></edge>

Some videos produced from test data are here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zHJJmxBEI8o
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uyBaBoCnyt0

I'd like to show only nodes above certain degree on each step.

Thanks again!