Interpretation of time window?

Evolution and dynamics on networks in Gephi: UI, data formats, algorithms...
seinecle
Gephi Community Support
Interpretation of time window?

Post by seinecle » 27 Feb 2012 21:37

Hi,

My question relates to the values of dynamic attributes for nodes and edges within a time window. To make it clearer:

- you import a gexf which has a dynamic node attribute with different values every day
-you activate the timeline
- you select time range (a time window) from, say, 1989-01-01 to 1989-01-31
- you do a ranking and select "continuous ranking", resizing the node according to this attribute

=> the question is, what value of the attribute is taken into account for the resize?
- an average of the values of this attribute comprised between 1989-01-01 and 1989-01-31?
- the value corresponding to the latest date or the earliest?
or ... ??

Thanks!

Clement

admin
Gephi Community Manager
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1275: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: Interpretation of time window?

Post by admin » 28 Feb 2012 09:32

Hi,

It is an average value of this attribute between the two boundaries. Btw, node size is proportional to the range values within these boundaries, so you can't compare nodes sizes of different time periods. This is an important issue Mathieu and I are still thinking about...

mbastian
Gephi Architect
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1275: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Post by mbastian » 04 Mar 2012 08:45

Yeah, I forgot about that one. Did we create a GitHub issue for it?

admin
Gephi Community Manager

Post by admin » 04 Mar 2012 15:09

Yes we should, otherwise we'll forget again... :)

mbastian
Gephi Architect

Post by mbastian » 04 Mar 2012 18:48

Btw do you think this should be the default behaviour or it should be an option? It would also affect static graphs. We would simply take the min/max of the main graph instead of the visible graph.

EDIT: Here is the issue https://github.com/gephi/gephi/issues/541

admin
Gephi Community Manager

Post by admin » 05 Mar 2012 09:00

Okay that's fine for me know, thanks Mathieu for fixing it so fast.

seinecle
Gephi Community Support

Post by seinecle » 05 Mar 2012 10:17

Just: wow. Thx!

seinecle
Gephi Community Support

Post by seinecle » 08 Mar 2012 10:23

Still on this topic:

I downloaded the latest source and compiled it, in order to use the "global" range ranking just added by Mathieu. The timeline displays correctly and can be enabled, but then the launch arrow on the left does not trigger anything. Is it because the new version of the timeline is work in progress and does not function yet, or is it due to something else?

Thx!

Clement

eduramiba
Gephi Code Manager

Post by eduramiba » 08 Mar 2012 13:42

Hi Clement,
The play button now automatically moves the filter window that you can resize and move with the mouse, and configure with the buttons on the left.

Eduardo

seinecle
Gephi Community Support

Post by seinecle » 08 Mar 2012 14:25

Brilliant, it works!

(honestly, that's a few steps process to download the source with netbeans via the github plugin... I'm thinking making a screencast!)

But: I don't see the icon / button to switch from local-time window ranking to global-time ranking? Help?